Self-Directed Entry | Teen Ink

Self-Directed Entry

By CarlyB BRONZE, Park Ridge, Illinois
CarlyB BRONZE, Park Ridge, Illinois

"Everything happens for a reason."

Sports have been a part of my life since I can remember, most importantly gymnastics. I have loved the sport since the day I started my first class at the age of two. Even though I couldn’t live without gymnastics, it is a very frustrating sport. All summer long we train with seven hour practices a day, leading up to competition season. This was my first year of level 8. I finally qualified at the last meet possible of the club season. As a high schooler, you only have a few chances to qualify because you have to compete high school gymnastics in the middle of the season and then return to club once it is over. I ended up qualifying my first meet back from high school and that was an accomplishment alone. With gymnastics it is hard to stay healthy because it is a risky sport. I had been training hard and making sure I was prepared for the state meet when it came, so I could try to qualify for regionals. Meet day came upon us. On the first event I fell twice on beam, which was a rough start to the meet. Floor and vault went smoothly, but bars did not go as expected. I ended up three tenths short of making regionals. It really hit me when we got in the car after the meet. I don’t think there has ever been a time that I have been so upset so quickly. I remember my coach saying, “I still love you Carly” as she gave me a hug. Although I was pretty upset, and bummed out for awhile, I have learned that life goes on. It taught me that there is more to life than just sports. Also, I shouldn’t only look at the bad, but look at the good side too, that I should look at my accomplishments and not just failure. There is a quote that I really like that summed up the meet. “Sometimes you win, and sometimes you learn.” In that case, I learned. I learned to get back in the gym and work harder, and learn from my experiences. Due to that experience, I now apply that lessons I learned to similar situations today.