White Gloss | Teen Ink

White Gloss

June 10, 2015
By Anonymous

The feeling of the powder on a freshly waxed snowboard is unlike any thing I have ever felt before. You achieve the feeling of weightlessness throughout your body. The fresh snow depressing with every turn. You become a completely different being physically and mentally. You are not a person with a snowboard anymore. Mentally, you feel like you are sliding through snow with only your body. I didn’t start my life snowboarding, I actually tried skiing. Not by choice my dad is a skier and wanted to pass it on. But, my mind was set on snowboarding. I was four years old now, and I went on a trip to park city with a large group of families in a house we rented. It was the greatest time we all had lessons and began learning how to snowboard. I was hooked.


As years progressed and my sister and I began to improve we started going on trips snowboarding more and more until our best year where we had thirty-five full ski days in up in mammoth. I have actually, never been to big bear my parents have the same passion for skiing so they like to go on all the trips, and big bear is not a large enough or good enough snow for them to have an enjoyable weekend.  I never complained though mammoth is my favorite mountain, I know every single section of it off the back of my head. The past two years have been some of the saddest I’ve experienced the west coast has gotten very little snow. We haven’t gone up very much and it makes me extremely sad. This year we got a season pass to four different mountains and half off of multiple more in a special pass, and I’m not ready to sit around. This year is all about boarding it’s my time to shred some fresh powder.


I am making my first trip up this year on Friday, November 21st. I am heading up to Mammoth Mountain with my mother and possibly my friends. We are going for five days, and I am absolutely ecstatic. The weather forecast says it will rain on Friday which I really hope it does, because if it rains that could possibly mean a fresh layer of snow just for when we get there. It would be divine. I am waxing my board and getting everything set so I can really shred.