Double Diamonds | Teen Ink

Double Diamonds

By acarreraf BRONZE, Coronado, California
acarreraf BRONZE, Coronado, California

Ever since I was a little kid my family has tried to go skiing every year. This year we went to Park City. My mom was in India at the time so she couldn't go with us. It was my dad, my two brothers and me. We all wished she could come with us so we could all be together, but that wasn't possible. There was one moment of this trip that I will remember for a long time. Jorge, my fifteen year old brother, took Santiago, my eight year old brother, with him so my dad and I decided to take the Ninety-Nine Ninety lift. It was the lift that reached the highest altitude and had the toughest slopes. It was supposed to service black and double black diamond slopes so we thought we’d catch a black diamond on our way down. Once we were on the chair I noticed a sign that read “Experts Skiers Only”. That brought some scary thoughts to my mind. What if we don’t make it back in one piece? Those kind of thoughts. My dad and I are pretty good skiers but I wouldn't call us experts. It was too late to get off anyways so we went up. Once we were at the top we found out that to get to a black diamond we first had to ski a double diamond. There wasn't any other choice. I remember standing over the edge and looking down at what I would have to ski. The moguls were about half my size and it looked really steep. We said our goodbyes counted to three and went for it. The snow was icy in some parts and you could even hear the skis scraping against the ice at every turn. At first we took an easy approach, trying to sort of slide down the mountain. That turned out to be really tiring so we decided to just ski like if it was any other track. I remember feeling nervous while looking down the mountain. but once I got going everything got easier. Miraculously we made it to what looked like the bottom without falling, only to find out that we were only halfway done. We had another half to go before we could merge on to the easier track. My dad fell a couple times on the second half  but once again we made it. The “easier” track was still a black diamond so it wasn’t actually easy. It just seemed easy after what we had just gone through. when we reached the bottom we were so tired that we took the gondola down to the hotel and stayed in bed the rest of the day without moving an inch. At least now I can say I skied a double black diamond.