College Athletes Should Be Paid | Teen Ink

College Athletes Should Be Paid

By john4044 BRONZE, Amherst, New York
john4044 BRONZE, Amherst, New York

The average pro basketball player makes 24.7 million over his 4.8 year career. The average pro football player makes 6.7 million over his 3.5 year career. Any college athlete will make a total of $0.00 over their career as a college athlete. 7 out of 10 graduating college seniors were in debt from student loans of up to 24,000 on average. this could be cut down or even completely gone if these athletes would have been paid. Also many players want to be apart of the excitement of these events, refeering to the pro sporting events, the intense competion, shared sacrifice, comitment to excellence, and bonding with teammates (Eitzen, 2000).This is why college athletes should be paid.

College students have several responsibilities while going to school. Keeping up with grades,  and staying in shape for their sport: this includes practicing everyday 2 hours at a time right after they go to their classes. By balancing out schoolwork, studying and games, athletes learn time management and how to work out time commitments in their schedules. “wake up, go to the training room and get treatment on my body if I need it. I go to practice for two, two and a half hours. And usually after practice, you’re rushing to class still sweaty and gross. After that, I got to study tables and then go to bed,” said soccer player danny baraldi. this proves that most if not all athletes have their days ran by sports, having almost no free time to do what they want.

College athletes, also known as students, devote their time,body,and mind not their college and receive nothing from it. These students work just as hard as a professional athletes on the field and without a doubt harder than everyone of the professional athletes, having to balance out time for their sport and all of their school work. “in 2012 the 25 richest college football team generated a total revenue of 1.4 billion dollars” (lund, why college athletes should be paid, 2013). In 2012 the 25 richest college basketball teams generated a total revenue of 440 million dollars, excluding march madness (lund, why college athletes should be paid, 2013). The amount of revenue that college teams made over the 2012 season,  67 million dollars. the athletes received a total of $0.00  (lund, why college athletes should be paid, 2013). I think this is so stupid because these athletes work their asses off every day, they are the reason colleges are recognized, they are the reason coaches are paid, but these athletes receive NOTHING.
    These college athletes have absolutely no time for work, or any extra time to earn money for their self. They spend all their time on school and their sport, how will they get a job if their time is spent on their school work and their sport , More than 40 hours a week  (lund, why college athletes should be paid). Players are essentially working full time football jobs while going to school; they deserve to be paid more than a scholarship (time magazine).

Although some/most student athletes are on scholarships, not paying these athletes could help prevent debt in the future. Paying college athletes will help them during college and when they go into the real world (youniversity). sure a scholarship helps a lot, but how will these athletes pay for necessary needs?  Although some if not most athletes receive some sort of scholarship, how will they pay for food, clothes, equipment, etc. (businessinsider). these students work more than most professional athletes, balancing out a full time sport and school. “Although you on a scholarship, you still a full time football player” -marshawn lynch .

They shouldn’t be paid because they are students. “No, i have no time any day for a job. i go to school, practice then i go to study when i get home because if this option doesn't work out, i need school to save me”-Cam Newton. These "students" are anything but students. They devote their bodies to the sport program, "Kyle Hendrix, he hurt his knee and had a lot of expenses trying to get treated, and be able to play as soon as he could." (Cnn interview, crossfire). "Most division 1 schools will say they can't afford it". This is not true because each sport brings in at least 40 million a year from each sport.

These college athletes have absolutely no time for work, or any extra time to earn money for their self. They spend all their time on school and their sport, how will they get a job if their time is spent on their school work and their sport , More than 40 hours a week  (lund, why college athletes should be paid). Players are essentially working full time football jobs while going to school; they deserve to be paid more than a scholarship (time magazine).   College athletes should be paid. For one they have absolutely no time for a job. They also devote their bodies body and minds to their organization. Paying these athletes could also help prevent debt later on in the future. They also bring in a huge chunk of the school's revenue, they should receive a chunk of it.  These students participate in their sport 40 hours a week, and need to manage their schoolwork on top of that, leaving no time for a jobs. This issue should be addressed soon because it's not acceptable. These student athletes give all of their time, and their whole body to their sport, just like pro athletes. Accept they just focus on their sport, working the same amount as college players, but college players need to pass college as well.

This article is about the struggle of non paid athletes during college