Passing the Torch, Blazing a Trail | Teen Ink

Passing the Torch, Blazing a Trail

By brette98 BRONZE, Staunton, Virginia
brette98 BRONZE, Staunton, Virginia

As children we look up to star athletes, whether at the local high school or at the olympic games. These athletes become our role models as we grow up believing in them. The way they conduct themselves and live their lives change the way we see them. We seek some type of standard in the way they conduct themselves as we grow up we begin to create our own morals in the way that our role models help shape such morals. These athletes begin to shape the way we see life and the sport and gives us a different perspective.

Wilma Rudolph was an American athlete and Olympic champion. Rudolph was considered the fastest women in the world in the 1960’s and competed in two Olympic Games, in 1956 and in 1960. Wilma was born prematurely at 4.5 pounds and at the age of four contracted infantile paralysis, caused by the polio virus. The doctors told her she would never be able to walk. After many years of therapy and wearing leg braces she finally began to walk and later began to play basketball.

The coach from Tennessee State track and field spotted Rudolph and he knew she had natural talent. By the age of sixteen Rudolph had come home from the 1956 Olympic games with a bronze medal in the 4x100 m relay. While running in the 1960 Olympic games Rudolph had a special, personal reason to hope for victory to pay tribute to celebrated American athlete Jesse Owens, who had been her inspiration. Even Olympic athletes have role models.

Jackie Joyner-Kersee is a retired American athlete, who Sports Illustrated for Women magazine voted her the Greatest Female Athlete of the 20th century. She won three gold, one silver, and two bronze olympic medals. She ran track and field despite of severe asthma. She at first believed there was no way she could be an asthmatic.  “I was always told as a young girl that if you had asthma there was no way you could run, jump, or do the things I was doing athletically. So, I just knew it was impossible for me to have it.”(Joyner-Kersee) Since her days as an athlete, Joyner-Kersee has accomplished much as a philanthropist and tireless advocate for children’s education and health issues (including asthma).

I have found out to be a role model you must be dedicated to not just your sport, but to others around you as well. Rudolph and Joyner-Kersee taught me that against all odds you can still succeed. As an asthmatic runner, Joyner-Kersee gives me hope that I too can control my asthma. I have the support from my mom and my coach to succeed and be a role models to other just like Wilma Rudolph and Jackie Joyner-Kersee are for me.