Remembering a Giant | Teen Ink

Remembering a Giant

By Michael Yedibalian BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
Michael Yedibalian BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey

Legendary basketball coach Dean Smith died on February 7, 2015 at the age of 83. According to CNN reporter Eliott McLaughlin, Dean had battled dementia for years, and peacefully passed away in his home in Chapel Hill. Smith was the longtime coach of the University of North Carolina Tar Heels men’s basketball team for 36 years. Additionally, ESPN records show that Smith won an outstanding 879 games in his career and brought his team to 11 Final Four appearances, winning two national championships. Smith was also able to create a coaching style that diminished selfishness, and maintained relationships with his players after their graduation.

Dean was a remarkably kind and generous person, and his coaching style reflected his personality. Tommy Tomlinson, writing for ESPN, states that, “Dean’s most lasting invention was his simplest: When you make a basket, you point to the player who threw the pass. He taught his team, and those who watched, that everyone is connected.” Clearly, Dean taught his players to value the assist more than the score, and to work as a team in order to achieve their goals. In fact, Tomlinson also writes that many years after his players had left the team and gone on to other things, Dean would help them with everything from sneaker contracts to marriage proposals. He would go over the bills of his players and alumni to make sure they were on the right track, maintaining valuable relationships with his players even after their college days. Dean Smith was famous for his memory, remembering even the smallest details about his life until dementia took its toll on him. In 1989, one of Dean’s assistants was going through old game films to send to past players as a gift from Dean. Tomlinson writes:
Hanners [the assistant] was watching a game against Notre Dame when Dean walked by and glanced at the screen. A few seconds later, he said: Watch this next play. Yogi Poteet is going to get a backdoor pass from Billy Cunningham and score. Next time down, they switch places. Yogi's going to throw the pass and Billy will score. They watched together, and it played out exactly as Dean said.
When did you watch this film last? Hanners said.
Oh, I guess when we looked at it the day after the game, Dean said.
The game was from 1963.
This is only one example of Dean’s incredible memory that he was so well known for. It helped him not only on the court during basketball games, but in interactions with other people as well. He was recognized as one of the most genuine and kind college basketball coaches in the league, and his actions reflected his reputation. Tom Morris, writing for the Huffington Post, explains how he met the legendary coach. Morris saw him on the Notre Dame campus before a big game and instead of ignoring him and continuing to walk, Smith approached Tom. Before leaving, Dean said, "They [sic] will be two tickets for you and your wife at the Will Call window tomorrow. Come see the game in person." Dean’s incredible act of kindness shows his unbelievable character, and proves his greatness off of the court. Those who met with Dean usually never forgot him, and he rarely forgot them either.                                                                                         In all, Dean Smith was an honorable coach not only because of his basketball achievements but also because of his selfless coaching style and respect for others. In recognition of his contributions to the Tar Heels program, the court that the basketball team now plays on is named the Dean E. Smith Center. In David Halberstam’s biography of one of Dean's most distinguished graduates, Michael Jordan, Smith is noted to have not wanted the arena named after him. However, he was persuaded by the administration at UNC to allow his name to be enshrined into Tar Heel history. Again, Dean's original request to have the arena renamed further exemplifies his humble personality, always attempting to shift the fame away from himself. Inducted into the National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame in 2006, Dean will never be forgotten in the history books, but more importantly, his character and selflessness will be a model for both coaches and players for generations to come.