The Activity I Love | Teen Ink

The Activity I Love

By Melana Flory BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
Melana Flory BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio

During the summer, I look forward to August coming around because of the one thing I love: football managing.  Most people think that football managing is not fun at all, but in all reality it is really fun.  I won’t lie, it has some set backs, but it has many bright spots too.  I have been doing football managing for three years now going on my fourth year.  The boys can be rude and disrespectful at times but that hasn’t changed my feelings towards football managing.  Football managing is just like any other sports because we are a group of girls who stick together and have each other’s backs.  There has been drama in the past, but for the last two years we have been drama free.  Most people think we just do it for the boys, but they would be completely wrong.  We can be described has the boy’s maids, mother, assistances, etc.  We fill water bottles, carry crates of water to them, scrub their jerseys and pants, and load all their bags on the trailer.  We stand in the hot sun to give them water so they don’t get dehydrated and pass out.  We stay in the warm ice room and scrub their jerseys until they are sparkling clean.  Although we never receive a thank you from most of the boys, I wouldn’t stop doing football managing because I love it that much.  I have made memories with football managing that I will never forget.  One time, we pulled a prank on Justin, our trainer, by sending him on a witch-hunt around the school.  We texted him and pretended to be a creepy girl, and he came back the next day totally freaked out.  He thought it was one of the boys at first, but he later found out that it was us.  I am coming up on my senior year of high school, which means this my last year of football managing.  I’m going to miss the excitement of the Friday Night Lights and all the fun memories I have experienced through this activity that I love.