Blue October | Teen Ink

Blue October

March 25, 2015
By maddsharris BRONZE, Lee's Summit, Missouri
maddsharris BRONZE, Lee's Summit, Missouri
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Kauffman Stadium was an ocean of royal blue with a roar like a lion. “That crowd seemed to go from the football game Monday night to the baseball stadium” an ESPN broadcaster said. The game that started it all, must have been the most difficult to win. 7-3 in the top of the eighth inning, I thought we blew our chances of a blue October, but the Royals turned things around in the bottom of the eighth. They kept fighting through the entire game; The lions kept howling. The season continued, the herd kept prowling. Twenty-Nine years earlier the Kansas City Royals were in a battle against a team that was just just four hours east on Interstate-70, the St. Louis Cardinals. Missouri baseball fans would experience a heart racing series that eventually went to a seventh game. The boys in blue fought the red birds to the very last second. That was the last time the Royals were in a play-off game. They has the tenacity to rival against any team that entered their path.


Our boys in blue went through the American League Divisional Series and American League Championship Series without losing a game, becoming the victors of the American League. They were looking to continue their hot streak in the World Series. The excitement was buzzing around town like bees. The anticipation was building mightily. The Royals opened game one, October twenty-first, at home against the San Francisco Giants. The opener did not go as planned, as the Royals dropped game one, seven to one. The next day, they looked to bounce back; And that is just what they did. They beat the Giants seven to two.


As the series headed to San Francisco, the series was tied one to one. The Royals played a nail biting game, over coming the Giants three to two. Looking to hold the momentum, the entered game four seeking to grab the commanding  lead in the series. An offensive outburst by the Giants took down the Royals eleven to four. Hoping to take the lead when they arrived back at Kansas City, game five approached. Madison Bumgarner had other thoughts. He shut down the Royals, getting the win, five to zero.


The series shifted back to Kansas City with the Royals needing to win two to win it all. Game six, Yordano Ventura pitched lights out. As our bats came alive, the Royals won ten to zero. Next up was the winner take all, game seven.The game was exciting all the way through leading up to the man that got us there, Salvador Perez, up with a chance to tie it in the bottom of the ninth inning with Alex Gordon standing on third. Salvy popped up in foul ground to end the game, and give the Giants their third world series win in five years. After giving this city the most excitement in 29 years, I could not be prouder of our Royals.