My Love for Softball | Teen Ink

My Love for Softball

By ACasa24 BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
ACasa24 BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.
- Marilyn Monroe

Every year I waited impatiently for the seasons to change. Not the kind of season most people will think of, weather, but the sport season. I could not wait to hear the sound of my bat ring in my ear as it sends the ball souring to center field. I love the rush and the tension that hovers over the field like a dense patch of fog in the morning. It makes the game more intense and the victory even more satisfying. Every time I catch a fly ball and dive for a grounder I feel and overwhelming feeling of excitement as a throw the ball in for an out. This feeling is the reason I love softball so much. I was four years old when I first felt the thrill of hitting the ball and watch the yellow ball spiral down the field at T-ball. Every year since I grown to love the game even more as I advanced and approved throughout the years.

Softball has brought me more than thrills; it also brought me loving friends and laughter. It gave me some of the best memories that changed my life. I met my best friend on the diamond years back. If it weren’t for that bright yellow ball with red stitching down both sides of it, I would never had met her. Softball is a way for me to let out everything I held inside of me.

Softball is the one thing I look forward to in the cold, wet spring. When I got my varsity letter my sophomore year I was so grateful and happy. It was my first year at a new school and it was overwhelming but with the team I felt I belonged. Softball is one of the sports that bring everyone together. I will remember the friends that softball brought me forever. Every summer and spring I am happy to be on the field; every other season I am waiting for the day to step back on it.