Forever Royal | Teen Ink

Forever Royal

March 22, 2015
By Hallie Klanke BRONZE, Lees Summit, Missouri
Hallie Klanke BRONZE, Lees Summit, Missouri
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

In honor of baseball season almost being upon us, I would like to look back on a time that captured every true Kansas Citian, baseball fan or not; Blue October. Sadly, it did not result in KC being the home of the World Series Champions but it was a baseball season like no other that united many together to cheer on their favorite team.

10/20/14
I’m not a huge fan of baseball but I sure have been watching the Royals lately. The Royals have not been to the playoffs in twenty-nine years which seems like a lifetime for many. Now they are dominating anyone who crosses their path on their trek to the World Series. Tomorrow the Royals will kick off the opening game of the World Series against the San Francisco Giants.

10/29/14
Last night the Royals squashed the Giants by a score of ten to zero. I watched the whole game and I was intrigued from the first pitch to the final out. One of my favorite parts of the World Series is the feeling in Kansas City, it is truly amazing. The atmosphere even makes non-baseball fans turn on their TV’s and don their blue to support the Royals. Eighty-five percent of the country is supporting the Royals as they prepare for the final game tonight that will end this long journey. I will be devastated when the final ball is thrown tonight. I love seeing the fireworks explode over KC lighting up the sky an unmistakable Royals blue after yet another successful triumph. I can’t wait to watch the game tonight, and hopefully when we wake up tomorrow we can say that Kansas City is the home of the World Series Champions!

10/31/14
The Royals were defeated by the Giants in a heartbreaking loss of two to three. The moment Gordon stepped up to the plate you could hear a pin drop in Kauffman Stadium. Gordon swung and the distinct crack of the ball making perfect connection with the bat rang in the hopeful fans ears. However, our hopes were short lived when Gordon stopped at third and Salvy came up to the plate and hit the foul ball that was easily caught resulting in the final out, ending it all. My family and I were never that into baseball but this season we were definitely on the Royals bandwagon. I will always remember Blue October.    

There will never be a time in KC like there was Fall of 2014 when the Royals almost took it all. But Spring training just started for our men representing blue, so there is always hopes for another Blue October, but this time we will reign victorious.  


The author's comments:

This is not an ordianry piece, and for that I am very proud. One of my favorite things about this piece is the date oriented aspect of it. I feel like it takes the reader on an adventure. Baseball season is almost here and you can feel the excitment building in Kansas City as the opening game grows near. I think that all Teen Ink readers would appreciate a sports article to get everyone in the baseball spirit.