Running Through the Journey | Teen Ink

Running Through the Journey

March 11, 2015
By Matthew228 BRONZE, Elkins, West Virginia
Matthew228 BRONZE, Elkins, West Virginia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Running is a sport in which “heart” is the main attribute towards success.  As I approached the start line at the 2014 West Virginia AAA State Cross Country Championships, the word “heart” was racing through my mind.  All of the hard work, all of the pain, all of the joy, came down to this moment.  My goal, to make top ten and become All-State was about to begin.  I approached the line, took a deep breath, and boom, the gun sounded.  I lunged forward, keeping in mind the road ahead, and remembering what I did to get here.  I found the first group and latched on for the wild ride.  As I reached the last mile, legs burning, I dug down deep for the rest of the ride.  As we entered the track I kicked it in, sprinting with my all to get to the finish line.  I crossed the line, ninth place, I did it.  I was overcome with joy.  I sat down and embraced the moment, thinking about the journey, the mix of the good times and the bad times came together to provide the perfect moment.  I gave hugs to my family and friends, everyone filled with joy and taking in the moment. 


Running is a sport like no other.  Running is a race against yourself.  It’s pushing towards your limit, and then finding a little bit more down deep.  Running is grueling.  It is not easily performed.  However, running is a process.  A beautiful process that goes clear to the peaks and reaches down to the depths.  Running is about knowing the effort given, the miles, the time spent being emerged in the sport. 


Running teaches lessons.  I’ve learned valuable lessons from running that greatly pertain to life.  One example is constantly being injured my senior year.  It was tough, but I kept looking on for better times to come about.  I regulated my running throughout the season.  I consistently attended physical therapy.  I tried to do what I could to get my body prepared for the state meet.  Mentally, going through this time was very challenging. I set my goals high at the start of the season.  Once I hit this bump in the road, it was as if I could not fully obtain my goals.  However, I was extremely fortunate to accomplish my main goal.  From all of this I learned to stay positive when the going gets tough and to never ever lose determination.  In the end it all came together and worked out. 


Running is truly an incredible sport.  All you need to run is a pair of shoes, and yes, a big heart.  It is a lifelong sport that garners life lessons as well as improved physical condition.  So the question is, when is your time to begin the amazing adventure running has to offer?