Falling Dynasty | Teen Ink

Falling Dynasty

March 9, 2015
By baby_jordo9 BRONZE, Cumberland, Rhode Island
baby_jordo9 BRONZE, Cumberland, Rhode Island
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

2011 State Champs, 2012 Runner-ups. The Mount Girls varsity hockey team has lost its reputation as years pass. Winning a state championship is something that I have dreamed about my entire life. Mount Girls hockey had won 10 out of the 12 State Championships that had come about in the State. From the early 2000s when the league was created to 2015 the teams have changed. Some teams have prospered others have diminished. The Mount girl’s team has been on a roller coaster than wont stop going down.

2011 was the last season that Mount hockey had been crowned champions for the state title. Since then not only the team but the league has lost its talent. 2012 the team had about 25 skaters, 2 goalies, and even 3 solid coaches. We went 20-1 during the season leading up to states. We went into states very cocky and ending up losing the series to Lasalle 2-1. The next year although we lost a lot of players and even our head coach we still ended up at the end. We had 1 goalie but 16 players and 2 coaches. That season we went 17-4 but when the state championship series came around the corner it seemed as if our team had completely fallen apart. We went from 16 players down to playing the series with only 6. Let me make it known that there are 5 people on the ice at a time. We were playing against LaSalle and they had 21 players and 3 goalies. We ended up losing that championship series 2-0. My junior year was unforgettable. We played all season with only our starting line and 1 brand new goalie. This season we were barely a 500 team and for the first time in the history of our program we did not make playoffs. This season is my senior year and we are 1-10. We are struggling for the reason that we really only have 3 “hockey” players.

To win a state championship is something I've dreamt of my entire life and I do not know if ill ever be able to call myself a state champion. I have been working long and hard day in and day out for the chance to call myself a champion. To feel the adrenaline in your veins, making a championship pile on the ice and to hang a banner at Mount with my name on it saying I won. There could be no better feeling that than. Winning a state championship must be an unforgettable feeling. One day I will look back and be fortunate for what I learned when I went through not winning. There always has to be a winner and a loser, I want to be that winner.