2024 Olympic Games | Teen Ink

2024 Olympic Games

March 6, 2015
By cmreilly29 SILVER, Holliston, Massachusetts
cmreilly29 SILVER, Holliston, Massachusetts
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"And our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears" - Brandon Flowers


There are various reasons as to why the future Olympic Games should and should not be held in the city of Boston, Massachusetts. Personally, I believe that the Olympics should be held in Boston in 2024. Many economists say that the local money will be spent on funding the Olympics instead of being utilized for more pressing issues such as affordable housing, education, health care, and valuable infrastructure. Also, economists declare that there could be severe cost overruns and that the final cost of hosting the Olympics is extremely unpredictable based on the previous Olympic host studies. The final price of the Olympics could be anywhere from four to nine times as much as the original price that was expected! The general population of Boston that opposes the idea states that with hosting the 2024  Olympics that there could be severe potential security threats and extreme chaos and havoc caused by traffic jams in the city.


Despite the numerous problems surrounding the proposal, there are people who still fathom and support the idea of hosting the 2024 Olympic Games. Optimists and supporters of the Olympics being held in Boston say that if they were to be hosted in Boston. , the city would be seen as the a tourist attraction, there would be a massive influx of tourists. Consequently, local business’ income would skyrocket! Also, they say that valuable infrastructure projects would be undergone and the city would benefit from these public projects after the conclusion of the Olympics. According to a recent study conducted by The Sage Group that polled Boston residents, 55% of the population support and approve of the proposal to host the Olympics while 39.6% of the population does not want to host the Games. Although a greater percentage of the population of Boston supports the idea of having the Olympic Games in their home city, only 32.9% of the population of Boston says that taxpayers’ dollars should be used to help fund the Olympics while 60.8% of Boston citizens said that taxpayers’ dollars should NOT be used to help fund the Olympics! Where would the money come from to pay for everything!? This Boston case seems to be just like when you had a part-time job, but you still wanted your mom and dad to pay for the things that you wanted!


I believe that the Olympics should be held in Boston because it would be a great experience to meet many people from across the world and have the opportunity to spectate the oldest and most prestigious sporting event in the world! So I pose two questions to you reader:


Should you have to sacrifice for the things that you want?


Should the 2024 Olympic Games be held in the city of Boston, Massachusetts?