Green Meadows Conference Junior High Track | Teen Ink

Green Meadows Conference Junior High Track

By ACLEW2121 GOLD, Defiance, Ohio
ACLEW2121 GOLD, Defiance, Ohio

~Motivation will always beat mere talent.

It was seventh period, and we were sitting in health class waiting for the big hand to hit on the three so that we could get on the bus and head to GMC’s. We stood up, said goodbye to our teacher and heard the rest of the class say, “Good luck, girls!!”

That moment made me so energetic I went and grabbed duffel bag and headed to the bathroom and changed into my uniform. I put my headphones on and put my game face on. I was ready for war. I walked down the gray and wide hallway to the desert parking lot and, stepped on and the bus driver asked me, “Are you going to get first?”

My mind was boggled. Am I going to be blunt and say that I knew for a fact I wasn’t going to get first because I didn’t believe that I would, I staggered myself for a second; then I said, “Yes, of course!”
There was no way I was going to be a humiliation to my new school. I was going to show them what I could do. I walked to the middle of the bus and sat down. My hands were shaking, and my mind was somewhere else. Then a hand touched my shoulder and said, “You’re going to be great,” said Meghan. “You’ve got this I believe in you!”

Then smirk spread from ear to ear, and my face mellowed out. I truly believed that I could win this. We started to coast down the highway on our way to Hicksville, Ohio, where the Green Meadows Conference Junior High Track was being held, where I would try to confidently rise up and become a victor in my event.

I put my head up against the warm window and began to doze off. I jerked my head forward as we were coming to a stop. I stepped off the bus looked around, unsure of where I was. My eyes widened, and I began to follow the rest of the team to where we would set our belongings. “Are you ready?” asked Michaela.
My mouth was stapled shut, and no words would escape from my mouth. My heart was beating out of control as if someone had just jumped out from nowhere. My eyes scoped to see the other girls throwing to see what competition I was up against. Then the woman announcer said, “All the girls in the discus event please head there now.”

My heart began to beat as faster than Garfield eating lasagna. A woman read off the names of who will be in the first heat. “Adriannia,” said the woman.

Sweat slowly slid steadily down my forehead. I felt a very overwhelming amount of heat come over me, and I was inside of a heater. The earth opened up and swallowed me whole with no warning. The girl before me threw pretty far, and I was positive that I was going to fail. I felt a pressure on my feet; I was in quicksand and could not move. I stepped into the ring and licked my fingertips, so I could get a stiff grip and placed them around the disc. I bent my knees and twisted my body, and I relaxed and took a deep breath. Then I let the disc fly with a powerful strength. I heard Michaela cheering for me, and I walked out of the ring and went to Michaela. 

I went to watch the rest of my teammates throw and run. Awhile later I heard the announcer say, “For first place of the girl’s discus is Adriannia with a throw of seventy six feet and one inch.”

Ecstatically, I put a huge smirk on my face. I had not failed my team. I now know that I can do anything that I set my mind to, and no one can tell me that I can’t. I got so much respect from people because of my hard work to get that first place ribbon.

I hope you like it