Fresno Indoor State Meet | Teen Ink

Fresno Indoor State Meet

By ashley__ BRONZE, Hemet, California
ashley__ BRONZE, Hemet, California

The indoor state meet located in Fresno was an amazing experience. It was one of those experiences that you can remember for a lifetime. My race took place in the evening, right as I got to the recreational center the sun was setting. The center was very spacious with tons of seats. It reminded me a lot of the Staples Center but a miniature version.  There was three levels to the building. I entered on the ground floor but to warm up I had to go to the second floor. I ran around the second floor for what felt like forever. The sunset was beautiful, I only got glimpses of it but the colors were so vibrant. It looked like the pink and orange swirls in sherbet ice cream. I did my stretches and warm up drills and before I knew it my event was being called to go and compete. They took all the runners in my race down to the last floor. I looked up and I could see the whole arena. The track was right in front of me. The event that was currently going on was the 4x8. I could hear the booming of everyone running on the track and the screams of motivation leaving the audiences mouths all covering up the music that played in the background. There was a screen hanging from the ceiling displaying everyone's results. Soon enough I was up on the track. It felt like forever till it was my race. I was the first heat. I wasn't nervous just scared, very scared. It wasn't long till the red coat told us what was happening and told us to stride out. I ran on the banked track it was very odd because I usually run on a track that's flat. Also it's usually a four hundred meter track not a one hundred and forty-five meter track. I was in lane two not quite on the hill but high enough to where my body leaned slightly to the left. Runners to your mark, get set, boom! The race was off I had a hundred and fifty yards till I hit finish line then I'd  run around three more times.  The curves didn't affect me really I just ran as fast as I could for what felt like ten minutes but was less than two.  I had one lap left and my legs where burning. I had just a fifty left I could do it. I ran to finish line where my legs could finally breathe. The burning in my legs went away and just turned into tightness. Although I didn't PR or medal it was an amazing experience. Most of the girls that I competed against were juniors and seniors and have been running at the track since their freshmen year. Whereas I was just a small sophomore running at that track for the first time. I couldn't help but feel small put up against all of the competition but I didn't mind really it was all just for fun.