The 1600 | Teen Ink

The 1600

By nataliag BRONZE, Hemet, California
nataliag BRONZE, Hemet, California

It was on a cool, foggy Saturday morning when I woke up at five. It was a typical day for a track meet, and as usual I had to drag myself out of bed to get dressed and out the door. When I arrived, the stadium’s stands were already filling with parents and family. Athletes standing everywhere with their blankets and sweats on. Coaches running after their athletes. A big swarm of colors. After checking in, I climbed the bleachers to my other teammates so I could lay down. I found a cozy spot and snuggled into my paw print blanket trying not to let the cold seep in.

As the minutes passed by the sun started to come out. It just got warmer and warmer. My event was starting to creep up on me. So eventually, I had to peel out of my comfortable shell to get ready for my event. My coach wanted us to warm up so hurriedly, I lathered sunscreen all over my already tan skin. I was now up and ready. I jogged around with the other girls running my event on my team. Because you know we have to be ready. I could start to feel the sweat forming on my forehead. This was one of my best events so I was starting to get worried thinking we didn’t have enough time to do drills. I’ve always had enough time to go through drills and even some strides! But not that day. 

“Girl’s 1600! Girl’s 1600 come to the line please!” called the gunman.

All the girls were moving towards the start line in a big mass. Panicking, I jogged towards the start along with my teammates and tried to find a decent spot. All of a sudden I became aware of the hot sun beating on my back. I was already sweating and the race hadn’t even begun. Annoyed that I didn’t do my drills I tried my best to stay relaxed. We all wished each other good luck, and then all eyes and ears were on the starter.

“Runner’s on your mark!”

I could feel the adrenaline rush through my body as I got into position. My heart was racing now.

“Get set!”

The gun went off and I accelerated. My legs were quickly making its way towards the front of the pack.

“Why was I going so fast? I need to slow down”  were the thoughts in my head.

Just stay relaxed and keep your pace. Good form. Good form. Keep your arms in a swinging motion. Good posture. One, two… One, two… One, two…

Pass up the next two girls. Okay done. First lap, done. Three more to go…

“Why must it be so hot today?”

Keep a good stride going. Don’t lose focus. Two more laps to go… Keep up with the girls in front of you. One, Two… One, Two…

Now one more to go! I have to speed up now! I have to pass the girl in front of me! It all comes down to who wants it.

At that point, my legs were exhausted. I was exhausted. It was the last two hundred meters yet the finish line seemed so far. I heard the crowd cheering as the first two girls came in. I started to kick, but as I started to speed up so did she. I took a glance at the cheering crowd and started to run faster. Fifty meters to go…

I gave whatever I had left in me, leaned my body forward, and crossed the finish line. I had passed her by a second. I took a look at the clock and I had beaten my best mile time.  I was so happy. Even though I was tired and hot I had beaten my best time, and that was all that mattered.