road to recovery | Teen Ink

road to recovery

By Charlie Peters SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Charlie Peters SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

Getting landed on by a motorcycle would probably scare anyone away from riding motorcycles for a long time,but for Trey Canard it was only a setback. Trey Canard, or “Turbo Trey” is a professional motocross and supercross rider from Oklahoma. Here I will be talking about his life and career and some of his hardship throughout his motocross adventures.
Trey Canard was born on September 17,1990 and grew up in Shawnee, Oklahoma. Trey’s Father, Roy Canard, was a motorcycle mechanic and owned a Kawasaki dealership. Roy was a motocross fanatic and supported Trey all the way with his love of the sport. Trey signed his first contract(an agreement that provided young riders with potential, free gear and training in hopes for them to get skilled and win races) when he was nine with Kawasaki. In 2002, when Trey was twelve his father was working on the families practice track on there Oklahoma property when the front end loader he was operating tipped over and pinned him under it. That incident, in a way, pushed Trey to be better at motocross because his father was working on his track when he died. rough for him. That is a reason I look up to Trey is because his father died and instead of giving up on his sport, he charged forward and became a very talented motocross\supercross rider.  Now to get into his more skilled tears of racing.
In 2006 Canard won the Loretta Lynns ametuer championships in the B class and then, in 2007 Trey won the A class and the A/Pro class. Canard also received the Horizon award. Because Trey won all three championships, it landed him a professional contract with factory connection Honda. In 2008,Canard entered the Monster Energy Supercross series and won the east coast lites championship as a rookie. In 2009 Trey broke his wrist in a race and forced him out for the rest of the season. In 2010 Canard won the season opener in Anaheim, California. Later in the season he won a points battle against Christophe Pourcel and claimed the 2010 SX title. To finish off the season on a good note Canard participated in the Motocross of Nations(MXoN) and helped USA get its 6th in a row win. In 2011 Trey signed a new contract with Red Bull Honda. In a practice crash Canard broke his femur and it kept him on crutches until the 7 round of the 2011 series where he got a top three finish. Just three rounds later Canard re-broke his femur and brought his season to an end. 2012 was one of Trey Canard’s hardest seasons. Canard got through 2 rounds of the season before something tragic happened. Trey had got a tuff block stuck on his footpeg during the race,so he just rolled over a jump because he couldn't jump it. Meanwhile Ryan Morais, a fellow supercross contender, jumped over the jump and landed on Trey Canard. Ryan broke his jaw and some ribs while Canard broke his back. It was only Canard’s third round of the season and he was done till 2013. What is amazing to me is that he retained 100 percent feeling in his legs and was able to return to supercross in 2013. In 2013, Trey got 6th overall, his first year back from a broken back. In 2014 Canard got 4th overall in the AMA supercross series.
Currently Trey Canard is Racing in the 2015 AMA Supercross Championship. In Aneheim he placed third at the season opener in California. In Phoenix he placed eighth . After that  he will be racing in Anaheim again for round three of the series. Canard renewed his contract with Factory Honda once again until 2016. Trey’s Teammate, Cole Seely will also be racing alongside Canard Through the 2015 season.
Trey Canard had a rough childhood because his father died when he was twelve . Canard had great ametuer career,and a great 250 class professional career. His 450 career had some rough patches including two broken femurs and a broken back, and even entire seasons not even racing. Trey Canard has a great heart and even greater Faith and that is why I look up to him as a role model. He has taught me that if you have faith, you can go places.