Gabriel Medina: Brazils Champion | Teen Ink

Gabriel Medina: Brazils Champion

January 9, 2015
By AlyssaHarmeier BRONZE, Newberry, Florida
AlyssaHarmeier BRONZE, Newberry, Florida
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

   Something considered even more rare than a condor in golf, Brazil is currently holding the WCT world title. Fresh from the beach breaks of S?o Paulo, Gabriel Medina is one of the youngest world champions ever alongside Kelly Slater.

   During the competition, things began to heat up when Medina beat Dusty Payne with not one, but two 8.83 rides in round three. During round four he scored a 7.00 and 8.67 against Toledo and Kerr, skipping round five and bouncing right into the quarters. Although many people are very excited about Medina winning, some seem to think it was unfair. During round three Toledo was in the water and claimed in his post-heat video to have been using his heats priority to block Payne from taking waves at backdoor. If this is so, then Kelly Slater must have not really won the world championship in 2005 considering Nathan Hedge was intent on beating Andy to ensure Kelly would win the title. Along with that, people have caught heat waves winning under priority in the past. Plain and simple, Dusty took bad waves that were closing down on him even with his experience surfing there, while Medina truly had what it takes.

   In the past, Brazilians have won lower titles such as ISA world surfing games, WQS, ASP Pro Junior, and longboarding events, but never one that was as revolutionary as this.


The author's comments:

This is an article I wrote about a revolutionary happening in the surfing world. Brazils first time winning a championship is huge and is for sure opening doors for other brazilian surfers.