A 250cc or a 85cc | Teen Ink

A 250cc or a 85cc

January 5, 2015
By Anonymous

This is one of the hardest decisions I ever remember having to make. My Dad, family, and I have a choice… are we going to ride 85s in the 2015 season or are we going to get a 250, which I’m too small for, plus a 150 for a practice bike because I already have one right now? We are not going to race the 250 until 2016 but we could have two 150s… We could have a modded out one for racing and a practice bike so we don’t wreck our racebike. Another bad thing is we will have to sell the two 85s I have now. I am in a bad stage… I’m too big for my bikes now and to small for a 250. So that brought us to a thought, what if we got a ktm 85?

The ktm 85s are taller than my two kawasakis that I have now, they are faster, and are higher rated. The problem is they are very expensive because they are the best bike on the market. They are also one of the newest bikes for a huge remodel and they keep getting better and better each year. Through my sponsor, Storm Lake Honda, we could get a 250 PLUS a stock 150 for around the price of a ktm 85. That would be great getting two bikes for the price of one, but then on one of the three bikes, if we go the 250 route, would have to have tons of money dumped into it to make it fast.

The good thing about getting a ktm 85 is that we could have one or two more years in the 85 sr. class so we could progress more and get better results at nationals then the 150 class or (supermini.) If we did get a ktm 85, like my cousin Izaih, we could race two classes at nationals and have better chances for a win than if we got a 250 and a 150. If I got another 150 we would still only be in one class because we won’t be racing the 250. The reason we are not racing the 250 is because I’m too small ( like 5 feet 3 inches), used to riding the 150s and 85s, and could be racing people up to my Dads age because I can’t race C class since I made it to the worlds biggest amuter national, Loretta Lynn’s ranch. 

Which lead us to another thing, if we did get the ktm 85 we could race 3- 4 classes…. supermini 1, supermini 2, 85 sr, and 85 open. You can only race two classes st Loretta’s but we would have a better chance of going again and that is where you are “supposed to make it happen.” It is kind of like football or basketball, they come and scout you and see if you are good. Then the word spreads about you and you start to get offers. It is the same thing at Loretta’s ranch, all the pro sponsors are there and the factory teams. Sometimes pro riders are there to. I have quite a bit of sponsors now but they are not factory teams where they give you free bikes… I get discounts on gear, parts, accessories, and bikes. But nothing for free, the highest if 75 % off.

Our decision between a ktm 85 or a 250 plus a 150 is going the 250 and 150 route. There are various reasons why this is the way to go. I will have two 150s , a mod and stock practice bike, to really come on and tackle the supermini 1 and supermini 2 class. Also since I am already getting the 250 at the age of thirteen so  I will be more used to it, faster, and better than all the other kids that will be coming up later. Another good thing is that I love riding 4 strokes and the honda 150s and 250s are 4 strokes. The bottom end grunt and the power of them are great so I think it will be good for me.