500 Free | Teen Ink

500 Free

By seeitinmyeyes BRONZE, Hemet, California
seeitinmyeyes BRONZE, Hemet, California

Treat your life like you are truly an hourglass and you dont know when the last grain of sand will fall through to the bottom.

"Ladies 500 Free" I hear the ref announce. This is me. I step closer to the edge of the pool "swimmers up" he exclaims next. I shakily climb onto the board. As I feel the rough texture against my feet, it makes me cringe. I glance to my left and see two girls ready , I glance to my right to see another two girls. "Take your mark" the ref shouts, I hunch my body over and place my fingers around the boards edge; remembering the techniques I was taught. BEEEPP, there it is. I fling my self into the air , and place my body in a streamline position getting prepared for the water. Finally I burst through the surface and I envy the nice cool feeling of the water. This is it , I take the first stroke to begin my race . I look around 'okay yeah I'm behind but that's okay. They are swimming to fast, this is about pacing yourself ladies' I swim and I take my time kicking my feet faster each time I flip turn off the wall. I'm getting closer and closer to the end, a few more laps . I can feel my chest raising and falling hard. My lungs are begging for more oxygen , I lift my face out of the water and gasp for air . My arms and legs are screaming for me to stop, but I push forward, the burning sensation continues but I know that I'm laps ahead of all of the other girl. By this time I'm sprinting noting that I'm trying to drop time. Stop stop breathes my mind but I don't I continue to stroke. I flip turn one last time and burst off the wall. Here it is 20 seconds and I'm finished . My arms are dead and they are begging me to take it easy but I don't I push even harder and stroke faster as my legs propel me across the water. There's the wall , I kick once as hard as I can and touch the wall. I sit there for a couple seconds with my head below the surface , not wanting to hear all the noise of the pool deck. I finally come to my senses that I need to breathe . I lift my face and hear everything so clearly around me. I look up to my timers and say breathlessly, "what's my time?"

"7:25" WHAT!? I know. It's no great time but I dropped 25 seconds , 25 seconds in one race . "Good Job Cheyanne"

I competively swim the 500 Free, this is one of the times i was very proud of myself. Yeah sure I dont make Varsity time for the 500 Free but im getting better. This up coming season is going to be great!