Wrestling | Teen Ink

Wrestling

By Luisp BRONZE, Rockaway Beach, Oregon
Luisp BRONZE, Rockaway Beach, Oregon

I believe that wrestling is a tough sport.

Last year i was peer pressured into doing wrestling. Coach Kelley would always say, “c'mon Gus you got wrestle.” I didn't really want to do it because i have heard a lot of rumors about how hard it was. i was a little scared because me and conditioning don't get along at all. The first day of open matts was really fun. i got a little hint of how hard it was to wrestle. Once the practice started i really found out how tough it was. The toughest part was having to wrestle someone for 6 minutes. The stance also is really tiring, and my whole legs burned. i found that one thing that really helps you is being flexible.

In a match sometimes the person that you are wrestling can be a jerk by crossing your face hard. That can lead to a bloody lip or bloody nose. If you get slammed it will probably knock the wind out of you, but you have to be tough and continue to wrestle without the proper breathing. You can't stop a match just because you got the wind knocked out ot. You got to use mental toughness to keep on working. Another thing that i found tough about wrestling, was cutting weight. You gotta watch what you eat and how much you eat. In practice you work hard to at least lose 3 pounds. You don't always have to cut weight if you dont want too.  Anthony Ramirez lost 20 pounds and he said that it takes a lot out of a person mentally and physically. He was really happy that he cut weight, because he didn't have to wrestle big guys.

I can really relate to that because when i was cutting weight, my body hated me. In practice i would feel like giving up, but deep inside i need to keep on going,

I Believe that wrestling is a fun sport. After what i said before you might not think its fun, but other wrestlers know what i am saying. What makes it really fun is winning a match. You get that little smirk on your face and think of all those practice and how they actually helped.

Creative-Writer BRONZE, Mesa, Arizona

We know what we are, but know not what we may be. -William Shakespeare

you did a good job.  there are a few mistakes, but nothing that can't be fixed.  And I understand what you are saying.  good job.