High as a Runner | Teen Ink

High as a Runner

November 17, 2014
By RoadRacer BRONZE, Rustico, Maine
RoadRacer BRONZE, Rustico, Maine
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I begin my day bywaking up with a jolt to my favorite song blaring out of my phone. I reach over and turn off the alarm before it wakes anyone else. I don’t need to look at the clock to know it’s precisely 5:38am. I get dressed and tiptoe out of my room.Walk through the kitchen, grab a ripe banana and devour the delicious fruit while putting on my hat. I take a big drink of water. Next I tie my shoes, making sure they’re snug, but not tight enough to hurt my feet. I drink some more water. I put on my windbreaker and head out the door. The next day, repeat.


Yes, I am aware that most people would think I’m crazy for running so far and so frequently. In fact, many inform me of this, including my teachers and friends. They don’t feel the joy I do running in the chilly early mornings, watching my breath crystallize in the air. They don’t like the smell of the bay rising up from the water before the sun creeps above the horizon.They don’t cherish the feeling when your lungs are demanding air, your legs burning with every step. Tim Noakes, a runner in over 70 marathons, once said"Your body will argue that there is no justifiable reason to continue. Your only recourse is to call on your spirit, which fortunately functions independently of logic."Most peoplestop when their bodies become tired.Runners have the determination to push their bodies to the extreme.


My girlfriend often asks me why I run.First of all, because I love it. Secondly, because I’m aware of the amazing benefits it has. To reduce mortality risk at a population level, from a public health perspective, running should be encouraged as much as we discourage smoking, alcohol and obesity. A recent study, published inThe Journal of the American College of Cardiology, stated that runners had a 30% lower risk of death from all causes and a 45% lower risk of death from heart disease or stroke than non-runners. As a matter of fact, it was said that runners live on average 3 years longer than non-runners.


Why do I do this particular activity? Because nothing burns those nasty calories that we’re so worried about like running. In a study done by the Medical College of Wisconsin and the VA Medical Center, the treadmill (used at a "hard" exertion level) torched an average of 705-865 caloriesin an hour, in comparison to the stationary bike which only burned 498-604 calories.Nowadays, with proper eating habits and a little motivation, running is the best way to lose weight.


You may wonder “Why does he put himself through that over and over?” Because running isn’t only great for the body, it’s awesome for your brain. It’s a wondrous form of meditation. A study by The University of Georgia Department of Exercise shows that exercise relieves stress 3 times better than resting. The studyconsisted of inducing anxiety (don’t worry, just caffeine pills) on subjects and compared their physiological and mood symptoms after either an hour of resting or exercise. With school, work, friends and family, stress is a part of our everyday lives. Running even once a week can relieve much of that tension.


Running is a foreign concept to some, an addictive drug to others. In the United States alone, according to the Sports and Fitness Industry Association, there are over 54 million runners. Clearly, I’m not the only crazy person. In the past 2 decades, the amount of runners has skyrocketed.Everyone knows someone who has a passion for running.So why don’t you give it a try? Running 5 minutes daily can reduce risk of cardiovascular disease-related death. Personally I think it’s worth the time and effort. Finally, and luckily for you, there are plenty of beginner runner groups. Look no further than The Running Room, with programs from first timers to marathon runners. If you’re more of a solitary runner, that works too. There are many websites with tips and FAQS about running to help you get on your way. Sound interesting to you? Check out nerdfitness.com for great info on the art of running!

“Remember, the feeling you get from a good run is far better than the feeling you get from sitting around wishing you were running.”
-Sarah Condor
Runner/Author


The author's comments:

I hope this will encourage people to go run!