For The Love Of The Game | Teen Ink

For The Love Of The Game

November 4, 2014
By Anthonydogg99 BRONZE, Addison, Maine
Anthonydogg99 BRONZE, Addison, Maine
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

     I have always loved basketball. To me basketball is the eighth wonder of the world, I’ve always been good at basketball until this past summer that’s when I became great. My freshman year of highschool I didn’t feel like playing any sports mostly because I think I was scared of moving on to a different level of play I wanted to stay at junior high level where I dominated the game. This year I sucked it up and I decided that basketball might be the only way I will ever get into college so I better start playing while I can, I mean well basketball runs in my blood my father got a scholarship to Syaracuse University, my cousin was one of the top freshman in the state last year so I knew if I played id be great. That’s it I knew what I had to do I needed to practice and that’s what I did for two months is practice, before school I would shoot around after school I would stay in the gym and work on drills. I was doing great except for the fact that I hadn’t been doing my homework for almost the whole year. I just figured I was good enough at basketball that the principle would just scoot me by, I just figured that he wanted championships and that it wouldn’t if I was failing or not, that wasn’t it at all. I got called in to the office about two weeks before the quarter ended, I sat down in front of the principle and the first thing out of his mouth was even Michael Jordan had to pass his classes, he continued he said I have seen you shoot a ball around before after school, I have seen you play defense and your defense is lockdown nobody gets by you and we need you bad, but you also need your grades to be up so that you can play, if you don’t have s=your grades up before the end of the quarter then basketball is a big N-O for you. I could feel my heart sink, I probably could of started crying if he wasn’t there in front of me but I just got up and walked off. I knew that the only grade that was failing was my algebra 2. For the next week I stayed after school and got help every night that I could, my grade was coming up but not as fast as I thought it would have. Before I started getting help my grade was a 35 now my grade is a 55, not particularly as high as I wanted but at least it was coming up and at this point in time that was better than nothing. Then I realized me doing only my homework at school isn’t going to bring it up if only I could do the work I didn’t do before at school and I do my homework at home then I could bring my grade up twice as fast,so that’s exactly what I did. What didn’t realize is now a day before the quarter ended that I spent so much time worrying about my algebra grade now my English grade was down and there is only one thing that I can do to bring it up and that is to write a story. I couldn’t think of anything to write about that day so I decided ill just wait and see if my grade is actually failing tomorrow so I did and it was but just by a few points, but one problem grade have closed. I went and talked to my teacher and she gave me an extra night to get it done but this was my last chance I kept putting it off and I couldn’t think of anything to write about but that’s when it came to me so I grabbed my laptop sat down on my bed and started to type. I have always loved basketball……………