Cutting Weight | Teen Ink

Cutting Weight MAG

His heart races to the sound of the clock ticking in the background. Twenty more seconds and he has this match won. All he needs to do is hold on. His opponent meets his eyes with a look of defeat. Thump, thump … 15 … 14 … the clock ticks down the final seconds. The wrestler thinks of the final 40 minutes he ran to shed that extra half pound. A match easily won. Then he’s thrust into the air and, dumbfounded, he finds himself on the mat. The ­referee pounds his hand on the ground and he’s down for the count in a ­moment of weakness. The defeated wrestler watches his opponent raise his arm with the grin of a champion.

Wrestling requires blood, sweat, and tears, in addition to dedication and pure passion. As many wrestlers know, the preceeding story is more than a haunting tale: it’s a fear that fuels their drive to put more effort into becoming the best. Many wrestlers go to extremes to become champions, and they are recognized for their ability to drastically lose weight, known as “cutting.” Many of these pound-dropping skills aren’t just dangerous but also can be fatal, which is why wrestlers should not cut weight in the first place.

With 81 percent of wrestlers cutting weight, there are many unique methods to achieve the task. Some are ridiculous – myths of athletes shedding as many as 20 pounds in one night have been passed around the wrestling community. Wrestlers will go days drinking only a few sips of water and eating just a piece of fruit each day. Ultimately, the calories they burn during practice will be more than they’ve consumed in two days.

Not eating for that long takes a toll on the body. Wrestlers dream of food, yet many won’t eat for fear that they’ll exceed the limit of their weight class. Consequently, they account for three-quarters of male athletes with eating disorders. Eating disorders claim 300,000 lives a year. Weight cutting can lead to death.

In 1997, three college wrestlers made national headlines, dying within 33 days of each other. Coming from Michigan, North Carolina, and Wisconsin, these dedicated athletes died from the same cause: weight cutting. In all three cases, the students experienced dehydration resulting in hypothermia after they layered on clothes and did endless workouts in heated rooms. Unfortunately, they out-worked their bodies. The perspiration they produced cooled them to the point of hypothermia resulting in heart attacks and kidney failure, all common effects of extreme weight cutting.

Following these deaths, the NCAA took steps to make wrestling safer by banning cutting techniques such as training in a room hotter than 80 ­degrees, self-induced vomiting, and extensive food or fluid restrictions. Following the actions of the NCAA, even high schools have taken precautions. The NCAA requires wrestlers to take hydration tests, checks their body fat, and restricts the amount of weight they can lose. But it’s not enough; ­unscrupulous coaches will turn their heads, and some wrestlers will overlook the rules, risking their lives for their favorite sport.

Wrestlers push themselves to the limit to make weight. These athletes seek to make themselves the biggest competitor in the smallest weight class possible. This goal taunts wrestlers to cut more and more. ­Although rules have been enforced, if wrestlers are going to be protected, officials need to banish weight cutting altogether.

Risking so much for such short-lived glory is absurd. Cutting weight is unhealthy and can lead to serious complications. Athletes must be more aware of these dangers – and listen to their bodies.

Dr.Jerry said...
on Jun. 5 2011 at 12:33 am
The author of this essay confused HypOthermia with "HypERthermia".
The athletes didnt die from getting too cold, they died from heat exhaustion ie. HypOthermia.
Perspiration can't possibly cool you to the point of HypERthermia...especially not if you're excercising in an 80 degree room.

on May. 4 2011 at 7:07 am
BeatlesLove97 BRONZE, Normal, Illinois

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve- Bilbo Baggins: The Fellowship of the Ring

My little brother who's only in sixth grade does wrestling and sometimes I worry about him because he's only 75 pounds and his coach is always pushing him to get to 70. I think you're right, cutting weight is very dangerous, especially at young ages when your body is still growing, like my brother. Or even high school students. Their bodies are still growing too.

on May. 2 2011 at 11:37 am
i agree with both u guys but sealclubber most highschool already do just to let u know

chase said...
on May. 2 2011 at 11:34 am
i agree with u

chase said...
on May. 2 2011 at 11:31 am
uh i agree with that its dangorous but i wrestle and i have also cut b4 to make weight or even to loose a weight class but its different from running, because i also run for my school. running u can train and get faster but wrestling its smarter to move weight classes so u can keep ur record, and there lots of different reasons. but ya for that 1st girl u wouldnt understand unless u wrestled

hmmm said...
Who runs 40 minutes to lose half a pound? Your not running ast enough.

killa2121 said...
on Apr. 25 2011 at 10:45 am

im gona eat u

I have been wrestling for a few years now and my freshman year i started off weighing about 108 but i hit a growth spurt and i weighed about 118 but i could still cut down to 103 without to much of a problem and last year as a sophmore i was 134 cutting to 119 and im 5'9 it isnt that hard or dangerous if you know how to do it right and you can stay mentally strong

To compete and train at your weight is the best way to go about it.  Frankie Edger is a perfect example as their are many other UFC fighters that do so.  Cutting weight is dangerous, and often abused.  I do cut from 190 to 176 but my methods do not involve sweat suits, heated rooms, or saunas.  It's all done through work outs and nutrition.  I will never cut more then 5-10 pounds so I lose the weight and get as close as I can to my fight weight, then cut a little the night before.  It has worked well.  Good luck to those that do.  Great post!

ArcaneGhost said...
ArcaneGhost, Hendersonville, Tennessee
Well, this may sound stupid, but wouldn't the tougher thing to do be to strive to compete in the weight division that you happen to fall under?

on Feb. 27 2011 at 8:44 am
shelterisland GOLD, Montclair, New Jersey

-Biting's excellent. It's like kissing only there's a winner."-Doctor Who, The Tardis

My dad wrestled when he was in high school. The coach required that each kid got a doctor's note saying the lowest weight he could get to was, but of course most of the kids just wrote the note themselves and forged the signature.

on Feb. 27 2011 at 8:41 am

Like coravecwriter said, this obviously isn't a story.

shayna101 said...
on Feb. 27 2011 at 1:45 am
Usually, we only hear about girls and women with eating disorders, never men. This was informative and surprised me that guys would ever cut weight. This is well written and reminds us that its not only women who struggle with eating disorders, its guys too and this is a serious problem.

Clopsey PLATINUM, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
pretty much any sport in which weight is directly related to performance has an increased risk of eating disorders, especially ballet, gymnastics, horse-racing, running, skating, and wrestling.

LastChapter said...
LastChapter, Hempstead, New York

(couldn't think of anything better at the time) "Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step."-Dr.Martin Luther King Jr.

well, as long as its done safely, have fun being your skinny winning self;)

Grandview41 said...
We don't cut weight to fit in because that is what others want us to do. We cut weight to become the best wrestlers we can be. We cut weight to win.

ShelbyMarie93 PLATINUM, Lexington, Nebraska

"When Death to either shall come -- I pray it be first to me." ~Robert Bridges
or
"Life is not a jump; it's a headfirst dive."
or
"Within you I lose myself; without you I find myself wanting to be lost again."

╔══╗
╚╗╔╝
╔╝(¯`v´¯)
╚══`.¸.Isaac H.

This is so true and so sad. Last week in school our wrestlers had a meet, and when the wrestling coach found out that one of the wrestlers was 2 pounds overweight, he started yelling at him in the hallways and mad him go do sprints instead of eating lunch. Later we found out he had threw up to make weight too. He's done that a lot...they all have. It's so sad.

on Dec. 10 2010 at 10:18 am
right now im on a 1500 calorie diet but im expendiing about 4500 calories in a day because i work out a lot and am constantly on the move. my advice is to eat catabolic foods (you can find lists on the internet) and to keep your workouts regular. make sure to drink enough to stay hydrated but not so much that you get waterlogged. just remember that every 8oz. of liquid you drink is about 3/4 of a pound so stay hydrated just dont overdo it. also if youre taking any creatine or potassium suppliment you should probably stop as both of those make you retain water. keep getting your daily value so that you dont cramp up, but no more than that 

aksportsgirl BRONZE, Wasilla, Alaska

Believe and you will

I have a real quick question, umm how do you plan on losing that weight that fast safely cause ive tried about everything and i just cant seem to lose the weight i need in such little time without it becoming dangerous for me. so do you got any advice?

ForeverFelix PLATINUM, Catasauqua, Pennsylvania

Daydreams can be worse than nightmares, but that never stops me.

Hello, I said "too much, too long." Dropping five or ten pounds isn't a big deal if you can afford it. But getting down to like 0% body fat? That's dangerous.