The Big Game | Teen Ink

The Big Game

By Patience27 SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
Patience27 SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware

The date is December 6, 2013. To many this is just a normal Friday, a day they look forward to as the start of their weekend. However for us Lady Rams this was a big day, for this was the day of our first basketball game of the season of 2013 which also means it’s our first tournament game of the 2013 season.

This was the day, the day that would put our skills, teamwork and nerves to the test. The day that we would demonstrate the hard work we put in at practice to the school. Nonetheless, most importantly this was the day that would show us if our hard work is enough to defeat our opposing team. However if we got this win against our opposing team we would not take this as an opportunity to slack off. We were well aware of the fact that win or lose, we will continue to push ourselves harder.

It is just a couple of hours until our game. We Lady Rams sat there anxiously waiting for our game as we watch Howard struggle to get the win against Delcastle. The experience of watching the game against Howard and Delcastle made us a little nervous about how well we would preform in our game. How slow time passed by until our game only added to our anxiety for it just made us stress more and more about making a mistake in the game. However even though we were anxious yet excited about our first game, we were pretty confident about beating our opposing team Newark.

The game is just minutes from starting as we begin our warm-ups. During warm-ups anxiety caused us to make slight errors which we were able to fix before the start of the game. As warm-up time comes to an end we listen to the starting five line-up for each team then proceed to the national anthem. Once this is done our game then begins with the ball toss from the referee. First and second quarter was ours. We managed to stay in the lead until the near end of third quarter. By the near end of third quarter we began to fall apart. This could have been caused by a fellow player of ours fouling out which could have been what threw us off our game, along with the fact that we could have gotten tired or maybe even a little too confident. Whatever the reason maybe, this caused us to play a terrible fourth quarter which ended up leading us to a lost.

Us Lady Rams were of course disappointed about the lost, however we were still glad that we tried our best. Most of us stayed to watch the boys game then went home. Most took the bus like I was planning to do until I noticed my mom, two siblings and cousin came to the game and would give me a ride home. I felt as though this was a stroke of luck since I would be able to get home earlier then the bus would, but I soon found out my night wasn’t so lucky when it ended with a large yet unexpected BANG!

What inspired me to write this peice was the fact that this was the last basketball game I played until I was involved in a car accident and have been out of season for many months.