My Brother and Baseball | Teen Ink

My Brother and Baseball

September 20, 2014
By WRXderek04 SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
WRXderek04 SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
5 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Every time I see a MLB game, see a little league practicing, or just see a chewed up baseball next to a dog I think of my brother. About 7 years ago my younger brother, Nick, and I basically lived outside. Nick was always playing baseball. I finally got him into a local little league to see if he would like playing on an actual team instead of our backyard with friends and I. He went to the tryouts to decide which team would choose him. All he had to do was be himself, everybody that knew him called him bb Nick, short for baseball.


Nick ended up being so talented that the coaches started arguing over him. Finally Coach Robert won and since then I have always thought my brother was given the best coach he could ask for. After the tryouts all the teams got to know each other and Nick and I realized most of his team was from the wealthy area of Hokessin. The team never really allowed for my brother to fit in, luckily i was always there to prevent any thing from happening. Nick was the youngest on the team because the coaches decided he was too good for the tier below where all the 7 year olds were. He had to play with the people my age and i am three years older than my brother but never played baseball myself.


Nick's first year of baseball ended and he got chosen for the allstars of the whole league. I had never been prouder of my little brother. He would play his heart out for this league for another four years. Our family told him he couldn't continue playing because it was too expensive for them to afford. I decided that he needed one last good year of his favorite sport, so I payed the money to get him in the league for the last fall ball.


Since the years have past i have done some stupid things and got kicked out of the foster home. My brother and I knew the day when we had to separate was going to come. It was not the best year of my life, my 14th year alive. I have not been able to see my brother in a few years now. Baseball , I know, will always be there for my brother.


Even now I still feel bad for forcing us to separate. Baseball is one of the best things that happened to me.