Never Give Up | Teen Ink

Never Give Up

By jmcderm1233 BRONZE, Cumberland, Rhode Island
jmcderm1233 BRONZE, Cumberland, Rhode Island

“Bergeron scores! Patrice Bergeron!! With the point of the dagger at their throats, they rip it out of Toronto’s hands, and kill the beast!”

Jack Edwards, the NESN Bruins commentator has a way with words. He used his words to describe the feelings after the epic overtime goal in game 7 against the Toronto Maple Leafs in the 2013 Stanly Cup Playoffs. The Bruins were down 4-1 with less than five minutes remaining in the third period, and at the 2 minute mark they had only scored one goal, making it 4-2.

Milan Lucic starts the fire with a goal while the Bruins pull their goalie. The score is now 3-4, and the Bruins still need a miracle, which comes with 55 seconds remaining. I’m at the edge of my seat, and the Bruins defensemen Zdeno Chara screens the goalie as Bergeron shoots almost from the blue line and scores. This sends the game into overtime, where Bergeron scores again and the memorable words were spoken from Jack Edwards’ lips.

My Dad and I watched this game from our living room, I had my favorite jersey on, and I was so excited to see this game. When the Bruins were down 4-1 so I got up and said to my Dad

“Well, maybe next year”.

My Dad replies with the truest words I have ever heard.

“Don’t leave! You never know what’s going to happen”.

I take those words to heart now, and I never leave any game early, and even in the sports I play I never give up early. The fans who were at the game that had left early were trying to get back into the stadium. I was clenching my fists when I came back to see the end of the game.

The year after that, I went to see the Bruins play the Pittsburg Penguins at the TD Garden. The Bruins lost that game 3-2. We left early because the score was 3-1 with one minute left. To my surprise, just as we got up, the Bruins had scored. They didn’t win, but it was still inspiring to see that they did not give up and kept trying after that. That game took place only a few days after the Boston Marathon Bombing. I’ve seen the Bruins make many comebacks, some against the Kings, the Rangers, the Habs, and many more teams.

I’ve seen my favorite player, Brad Marchand, beat 4 Kings players to the net and score a shorthanded goal. I’ve seen the enforcer, Sean Thornton, score a penalty shot with an amazing move, and he isn’t a good player. This team does not give up, so why should I?