Football | Teen Ink

Football

August 6, 2014
By Dominic25 BRONZE, Auburn, New York
Dominic25 BRONZE, Auburn, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

A life lesson that I learned is, even though you want to be known and seen as a good football player, you need to put your team first.


Our team was playing a scrimmage against ourselves and I was on defense and as an linebacker. My job is to call the strength side and where the ball would be going. My coverage was the flats because we were in zone defense. We were getting yelled at because the cornerbacks were in man coverage when we needed to be in zone coverage. The offense was tearing up our defense so we had to step our game up. The next play, I called the strength side and we blitzed the out side linebacker on the weak side. I soon as I heard, “Down, sat, Hike!” I sprung off my feet and tried to get to my zone where the tight end was running a quick out. It was almost an interception but the ball was thrown too fast. I remember grabbing the tight end after he caught the ball and heard the sound of the whistle and I remember hearing my coach say “Good job defense, Now our heads are in the game.” I’m glad that the defense picked their heads up and started trying to run to there zones. I feel that I helped the defense because if I didn’t make the strength call, then the linebackers wouldn’t have know what play side the ball may go to. I’m glad that I did make the play call because the defense picked it game up for the rest of our scrimmage and we were able to stop the offense multiple times.


I feel that this is a life lesson because it helped me realize that even if you’re doing good and want a starting position, if you help the team out more than yourself them there’s a better chance for them to start. Helping my teammates made me realize that football isn’t always about that on amazing player that’s on the team it’s about how good the teamwork and sportsmanship is.


I feel that if you are on a football team, then you need to try and help the other players on your team learn what to do and how to do it. Like if you are in a hitting drill and you know how to do it, teach the players that don’t know what they’re doing what to do and the coaches should realize that you care about the team as a whole and you’re not just worried about yourself. Also, if after practice when you and the team are running, you need to try and motivate the other players to try and push themselves as much as possible when running. Like if there are four or five players that are far behind all of the other teammates, if you can still run, run over to them and run with them to the finish, cheering them all on the whole way there.