My Run

A year ago, when someone asked me why I run I would answer, “To keep in shape” without thinking twice about it. I didn’t run because I loved it, I ran because science told me I needed physical activity to keep me healthy. December 3, 2013 everything changed. My mom dropped me off at a South Mountain trailhead at 5:30 am. The instant I took my first stride I realized something was off; I had forgotten my earphones. It was the greatest thing that had ever happened to me. The usual brain-jarring beat that kept me motivated to run was absent, and in its place was silence. I began to fill that emptiness with thoughts. I thought about my plans, my goals, everything and anything that popped into my head. When I hit 6-mile mark, my watch beeped and interrupted my pondering of the war in Iraq. In an hour I had discovered more about my dreams and myself than I had in my 14-year existence. All this time I had never given myself time just to think and explore my brain. With our constantly busy lives so many people live theirs without these precious self-discovery moments. One’s self cannot truly be fulfilled unless they have this close relationship with their mind. I dare you introduce yourself to you. Whether it’s in yoga, running or meditating, give yourself time. Time to become friends and learn about the one knows you best.

This article has 1 comment. Post your own!

sav_nah said...
today at 10:20 am:
I love this! I can totally relate to this article! Very well said.