Spit Tobacco in Baseball Players | Teen Ink

Spit Tobacco in Baseball Players

By Adam McNeill BRONZE, Coronado, California
Adam McNeill BRONZE, Coronado, California

When thinking about Tobacco use in Major League baseball many people do not realize how prevalent Spitting Tobacco (smokeless tobacco) is. There are two main types of ST, the first is oral snuff and the second is chewing tobacco. Oral snuff is finely grounded or shredded form of tobacco commonly sold in a round tin can. Chewing tobacco is more coarsely cut than snuff and is packaged in loose or plug form and mostly comes in pouches. This article focuses on how many players regularly use ST, known the presence of ST, or have tried it before. Although ST is not banned in the Major Leagues, it is in the Minor Leagues. The targeted subjects for this study are rookie professional baseball players entering professional baseball clubs. The three main ways that they are figuring this out is that they are doing a survey of players, finding the variables, and the factors associated with the use before entering pro baseball.
To be eligible for the survey you had to be signed by a pro baseball club. Factors that were accounted for were other tobacco use, social-norm factors, environmental cues, etc. Current ST use was defined as use within the past 30 days. The survey also assessed the type and brand of the ST, and age of initiation. Of the 862 athletes who were eligible to participate, 246 either refused or were absent on the day that the survey was administered. The average age for 21 years, among all the participants 67% said they had tried ST before the major leagues. 96% were aware of the ban on the use of tobacco products in the Minor Leagues. The overall prevalence of ST was higher than the use of cigars or cigarettes. Also, studies show that 82% of people use oral snuff, and only 18% of the participants use chewing tobacco. Like I said, the
?brands and companies were taken in effect for this survey. The top brands for oral snuff were Copenhagen, Skoal, and Kodiak. To counter that, the top brands for Chewing tobacco were Red Man Co., and Garett(Conwood Corp). Suprisingly, the intiation age for oral snuff and chewing tobacco was 16 years old, and the average age for the first purchase of ST was 17 years old.
Along with the conducted survey, there were many variables that needed to be accounted for. The prevalence of ST use was significantly higher among smokers than non smokers. There were also a lot of social norm factors. The use of ST was seen to be associated with use by family members, coaches, and peers. 80% of ST users reported that at least their parents were aware of their use of tobacco as compared to on 40% of cigarette smokers. Both ST, and non
ST users estimated that more than half of Major League Baseball has used, or is using ST. Social norm factors weren’t the only factors of ST, there’s also environmental factors as well.
The environmental factors were not significantly associated with ST use. For players who were less than 18 years of age, more than one fourth of the people said they had to show proof of age.
Studies have shown that players who have used other tobacco products or nicotine before entering the pro ranks are more likely to get hooked on ST, rather than a first timer. Along with the use of ST, there comes a huge negative factor. It leads to many cancerous diseases that most people don’t notice. The negative health effects include oral cancer, oral leukoplakia, gingival recession, dental caries, hypertension, and nicotine addiction. Some baseball players and coaches have experienced this today. One name that most San Diegans know is Tony Gwynn. He was diagnosed with oral cancer recently because of the use of spit tobacco. The fact of the matter is, is that when kids see that pro baseball players are using ST actively, they think that its cool and then they start to try it. Another study shows that teenagers and kids have a greater chance of using ST if they see a mentor, parent, coach or friend using it.
All in all, the prevalence of ST in the professional ranks is going down year by year, but
that doesn’t mean that it will not continue for many years down the road. As long as coaches and parents continue to use it, more and more younger kids will continue to use it. All of these studies were done in 2003. In 2003 ST was outlawed in minor league baseball, but not major league baseball. Now in 2014 ST is illegal in the major leagues as well, but only when there are fans present in the stadium. Almost one third of the rookie population from the MLB use ST, which is a high amount considering per team there’s only about 1-2 rookies per 30 squads. The problem that were seeing is that ST is so common in young, rookie athletes and that it’s affecting the game, and the spectators of the game. The MLB and the MiLB really need to come up with a plan if they want to stop the use of ST around baseball from Little League to Pro.