Hockey | Teen Ink

Hockey

May 29, 2014
By Adrian Gillig BRONZE, Coronado, California
Adrian Gillig BRONZE, Coronado, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Hockey

Despite living in places where hockey is irrelevant, hockey has still managed to be my favorite sport to both watch and play. When I lived in Washington in second grade, I was first introduced to the game. My family went ice skating with a group of family friends. Before we could skate, there was a hockey game in action. Watching the up-tempo game, with the excitement of skating past the defense to find you one-on-one with the goalie, I instantly fell in love with the game. When I moved to Oahu, Hawai’i, hockey was almost nonexistent. Many of the native Hawaiians did not care about the sport, but what would you expect from a place that is 70 degrees year-round for a sport that is played on ice. Since I lived in Montana up to sixth grade, I began to play more and more, eventually making the all-conference select team for Northwestern Montana. We were able to travel to many places such as Denver, Colorado for the U14 Hockey Tournament. The highlight of that trip would be taking home third place out of the 25 teams that participated in the tournament. Now that I currently live in San Diego, there are no hockey teams. Whenever I have the extra time, I will go to the SAKC (Salvation Army Kroc Center) and play pick-up hockey games there if I get the opportunity. Hockey is definitely my favorite sport and I really enjoy playing it, as well as watching it.