The Life of Rob Dyrdek | Teen Ink

The Life of Rob Dyrdek

April 1, 2014
By lifeisjustafantasy BRONZE, Marshfield, Missouri
lifeisjustafantasy BRONZE, Marshfield, Missouri
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Rob Dyrdek is an American professional skateboarder, actor, entrepreneur, producer and reality TV star. He was born in Kettering, Ohio to Patty and Gene Dyrdek on June 28, 1974. As a child, he was very interested in sports. He began skateboarding at the age of 11 when professional skateboarder Neil Blender gave him his first skateboard. At the age of 12, he was sponsored by the same company Blender was a team member of, this began his career in skateboarding. A few years later, Dyrdek and Blender quit their sponsorship with that company and created Alien Workshop, Dyrdek’s current skateboard deck sponsor and a company that he now owns.

At the age of 16, Rob Dyrdek went pro and dropped out of highschool. From there he left his hometown to go to Southern California to continue his career in professional skateboarding. Soon after he moved to California, he began skating for Droors Clothing. Which quickly transformed into DC shoes. Both Droors and DC were founded with the help of Danny Way; another professional skateboarder.

Currently, he is sponsored by Alien Workshop, DC Shoes, Silver Trucks(A company he created in 2003), and Monster Energy.

He is the founder of Street League Skateboarding(SLS) which is a skateboard competiton enterprise. Which grew from a local event to an international event.

In television, Rob Dyrdek has starred in three reality shows. November 2006 was the start of his first show. Rob & Big features the adventures of Dyrdek and his best friend/body guard Christopher “Big Black” Boykin. As well as his cousin Chris “Drama” Pfaff and friend Rashawn “Bam Bam” Davis. The show ended in April 2008 after 3 seasons when Big Black decided to leave the show so he could focus on his girlfriend and their newborn baby girl.

In February of 2009, Rob Dyrdeks:Fantasy Factory began. Which featured Dyrdek, Drama, his other cousin Scott “Big Cat” Pfaff and the rest of his Dyrdek Enterprise Staff. The Fantasy Factory is a large converted warehouse It has a large indoor skate park, a foam pit, basketball hoops, Dyrdek’s personal office and many ATVs, dirt bikes, go karts, etc. The show also co-stars Chanel West Coast, Sterling “Steelo” Brim, and Christopher “Big Black” Boykin returned. He now has an office space in the Fantasy Factory.

On the first season of Fantasy Factory, he opened up his first SafeSpot SkateSpot with the sponsorship of Carls Jr. Where the mayor of, Antonio Villaraigosa rode with Dyrdek on the worlds largest skateboard.

His newest reality show is Ridiculousness, began on August 19, 2011. Rob Dyrdek hosts this with his co-hosts Sterling “Steelo” Brim and Chanel West Coast. Ridiculousness is a show that shows a series of viral videos from the internet. Unlike America’s Funniest Home Videos, you are not allowed to submit your own videos. Most episodes feature a celebrity guest star. But sometimes, his parents are the “celebrity” guest stars. Some of the guest stars he’s had are Justin Bieber, Tyler the Creator, Johnny Knoxville, Ryan Sheckler, Mac Miller and Santa Claus.

His newest show and only cartoon is a Nickelodeon cartoon called Wild Grinders. It shows the adventures of a cartoon skate crew, which is Rob and all his friends. Including his bulldog Meaty, who talks in Wild Grinders.

Dyrdek has set twenty-one separate Guinness World Records for skateboarding, which he did during one episode of Rob & Big! Big Black also set two eating records on the show: The most bananas peeled and then eaten, and the most number of powdered donuts eaten in a set period of time.

Dyrdek's personal bests—some of which have since been surpassed—include:
Consecutive frontside ollies: 46
Ollie big spins: 12
Consecutive nollie kickflips: 73
360-degree kickflips in one minute: 12
Heel flips in one minute: 15
Consecutive ollies: 215
Nollie kickflips in one minute: 22
Longest stationary manual: 49 seconds
Switch frontside kickflips in one minute: 9
Longest 50-50 rail grind: 100 feet 5.75 inches
Longest board slide: 100 feet 5.75 inches
Highest skateboard ramp jump into water: 10 feet 8 inches

In his personal life, he has no wife or girlfriend and no children. He has a sister, Denise and a brother in law, Jason. He has an infant nephew Mason born on September 16, 2013. He is a registered minister from when he performed his sisters wedding on an episode of Fantasy Factory in 2011. He currently lives alone with his two bulldogs Meaty and Beefy.

All in all, he is very successful and he has a net worth of $15 million. But it is rumored that it’s more like $40 million. He is my role model and he’s an all around great guy. He is just like everybody else when it comes down to it. He is still down to earth!


The author's comments:
I wrote this because my idol and role model is none other than Rob Dyrdek. This was actually an English assignment and I'm very proud of it.