Robotic Sports | Teen Ink

Robotic Sports

April 1, 2014
By Martina Jimenez BRONZE, Quito, Other
Martina Jimenez BRONZE, Quito, Other
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

We have read in science fiction novels about technological advancements that have changed the world. These novels, science fiction novels, show how technology changed human life. The more I think about it, the more I realize today may reflect that futuristic ideology writers once had. Now, technology transcends more than one field, whether it is medicine, science or music. But, today, technology has left one of the most important impacts on one of the most recognized and favored theme of all time: sports.

Bring the materials in
When you see a soccer player’s jersey in a store, the company that sells it states all the benefits that it brings. Microscopic fiber used in order to bring the t-shirt less weight, gives a player more speed and more agility in order to win a game. Before, wasn’t it just cloth? Also, sports shoes, especially runners’ shoes, have developed incredibly. The idea of creating a special shoe that contains gel in order to give more bounce and agility to the runner overthrows the old, dirty, plain and now, useless Converse. Technological advancements in sports industry materials gives the athletes more commodities in order to perform better at what they are designated to do, sports.

Bring the people together
I am one of the people who believe radio commentators exaggerate matches in an exponential way. Now, the development of cameras that record important parts of the game, like the replay of the goal of Iniesta in South Africa World Cup 2010 against The Netherlands, gave another perspective of sports. Cameras gave a visual approach to sports’ fans, creating a higher interest to sports to society. Now that HD television came, I can now if the tennis ball was out or not, and I can see, not hear it. Tennis courts are equipped with so many technologies in order to identify the direction of the ball and whether it was offside or not. This new advancement in technology lets watchers to experience the complete action of the match, even if they are not actually there.
People watching the men’s and women’s tournaments on television or online will get all that action brought straight to their screens by a dozen high-definition cameras blanketing the court. “'The production is so good right now you can feel like you're there and experience every point and emotion,' said Gavin Ziv, Tennis Canada's manager of the Rogers Cup in Toronto" (Gillespie, 2013). Not only did technology reach the consumers, but the producers as well. The development of wireless microphone in American football led to a much faster and easier communication between arbitrators, or trainers. Technology is leading the sports community to communicate and expand over areas never thought imaginable.

Bring everyone in
Medical advances are not only for people to survive, they are created in order for them to create something more out of it. The development in technology referring to prosthesis, special shoes for different types of feet, aid people with mental disabilities is an advancement that medicine reaches. Thanks to technology, now we can watch runners who don’t have two legs, races in which handicapped individuals run against each other and athletic sports performed by people with Down syndrome. Technology allows everyone to be part of the sports world. No matter the disability, the understanding of the anatomy of the body, will lead the doctor to cure the bones or tendons, reaching the goal of performing a sports again. Medical technology caused one of the most advancement in sports.

When the FIFA World Cup was projected in color TV in 1970, the world went crazy. Now that the fans could see the color of the grass, the color of the audience around it and the color of the ball, it turned the network that projected the game richer and created a profit in the hearts of the people that love the game. If we are in the futuristic era, then I can state the technology transcends in a positive way in the area of sports by allowing commodities in sportsman, sports’ fan and sports managers that haven’t been seen before.

Bibliography
Gillespie, K. (2013, September 9). “Technology gives fans inside edge.” Toronto star.