Runners: Understanding the Weird Ones | Teen Ink

Runners: Understanding the Weird Ones

By Elese Ashworth BRONZE, Saratoga Springs, Utah
Elese Ashworth BRONZE, Saratoga Springs, Utah

Why do certain individuals, such as runners, free willingly cause themselves pain? More importantly, why do they enjoy it? Is it because they want to test their pain tolerance, or simply because they are idiotic? Some people might imagine a conversation such as,

“Hey, lets go run as fast as we possibly can for 3 miles or more and see if we can get ourselves to pass out. It will be loads of fun!” Nobody in their right mind would hear that phrase and think, “Oh yeah sign me up for that.” But, maybe thats just it. Maybe runners aren’t in their right mind.

Being one of those bizarre runners, I get it. I understand why we put ourselves through that. It’s definitely not because we love pain, but that does add to it. I run particularly for the sense of accomplishment. I can get done racing and say, “Elese, You just did that. Think of all the people you just out ran. It doesn’t matter how many people finished ahead of you. You did your best and thats all you can give. You leave this course knowing you just crossed that finish line with every last piece of energy you had.” That is what every runner has to come to realize. It’s not all about the place you come in. It’s about understanding that you did your best and that’s all you can give. When you feel like your best doesn’t cut it then you are obviously doing something wrong.

Racing isn’t just solely running really fast, although that is much of the physical part of it. You have to put in the work. You have to make sure you are doing the “little things” every single day. Such as, getting enough calories per day, plyos, drills, abs, pushups, icing, rolling, stretching, hydrating, sleeping, and most importantly staying positive. There is no way you will see improvement if you don’t do these things. You have to do your best every single day to fit in all of those tiny little details. The big things like, running everyday, and doing the hard workouts are easy. Once you have those taken care of it’s time to focus your energy to the “little things.”

Being a runner is not for someone who is not willing to put forth the effort. It’s not an easy task. You can’t be lazy and expect positive results. “Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard.” If you don’t want to get beat, you have to sweat like you have never sweat before, hurt like you have never hurt before, and have a drive that you have never had before. This is what makes running worth it. After you have done everything that you can control, personal victory will follow. This is why I run. It defines who I am, and it shows me who I can become.

I am a varsity runner for my school. I wanted to explain what drives us to actually enjoy running.