Wrestling Season in a Nutshell | Teen Ink

Wrestling Season in a Nutshell

March 12, 2014
By zanman_95 BRONZE, Pasco, Washington
zanman_95 BRONZE, Pasco, Washington
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“You have exactly 365 days to get better ” thats what my coaches always say. And thats one hundred percent true, because each year the wrestler either gets better or gets worse and there is no in between. Our coaches always do their best to motivate us to do better whether its on the mat, in life, or in the classroom. Being so caring and thoughtful as they are the one thing they won't do is babysit us. Thats why a majority of the 80 some kids that try out end up quitting. The coaches don’t browbeat all the kids who “suck,” they encourage us all to do better. This is needed for the first two weeks of the season. Those two weeks have been compared to the rigorous army boot camp that our military personnel go through.

Those two weeks consist of nothing but hard two hour practices twice a day that both test physically and mentally. Some practices are so intense I feel the agonizing pain of fatigue and begin to second think my true toughness. For instance, one practice I remember quite clearly we were introduced to the twenty minute water drill. Its called that because we were suppose to keep a fluid like continuous motion. This is where one of the true mental tests occurs, I had to take down my opponent immediately and we stand up and he did the same to me! After that we broke into groups of three, from there we battled like gladiators for two minutes at a time. By the end of that practice I felt both relieved and satisfied that I could complete such a demanding task.

That was how the season started out, and one of the worst parts was that there weren't any tournaments or duels. So all the pain and hard work began to seem as a waste of time.This isn't the case though, its all preparation for the rest of the season, including tournaments. This is when the need to start watching weight comes into play, if that hasn’t already been the case. It sounds easy, but for some not eating requires discipline and self control.

Truth is it’s not just eating right, its also working out even after practice. I remember several occasions where I had to put in an additional workout after practice to lose every bit of extra weight that I could. Now that seems really terrible but cutting weight is so worth the hard work. I was in better shape from all the extra workouts and I was more motivated to do better. Plus hydrating and eating feels so amazing afterwards, like a reward for the hard work that has been done! Tournament season mostly takes place over winter break, most think “its winter break why don't you wrestlers take a break?” Well for us winter break means no school and more wrestling. Except Christmas Day, we get that off.

After break is when all the team duels begin. Those are fun because its for the league title and bragging rights for the Tri-Cities. Its mostly a pride thing to win a duel match, especially at home. When all the dual meets and tournaments are over, comes the end of the regular season and beginning of postseason. Everyone’s record is 0-0 and words and rumors dont matter, its show time. First is districts which is double elimination and the top three wrestlers go to regionals. From regionals the top three go to state, but the competition is way more intense. Two stud athletes go to war and battle to show their worth on the mat. There are wrestlers from Yakima to the Big Nine and over to Spokane area, including the Mid Columbia Conference (Tri-cities).

If qualified to make it to state now it's do or die time! Once somebody has made it to the big dance anything is possible. If they can make it to the second day they’re guaranteed to place among the elite top eight wrestlers in the entire state of Washington. Wrestlers who have been training since the time they were five years old and couldn't tie their own shoes unfortunately only one is crowned the glorious title of State Champion. Thats a brief example of a regular wrestling season it may seem long, but it goes by fast, and if a wrestler didn't achieve their goals this season remember,”you have 365 days to get better.”


The author's comments:
its a brief look into a high school wrestling season