A Memory I'll Never Forget | Teen Ink

A Memory I'll Never Forget

By FergyFerg95 SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
FergyFerg95 SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware

Christiana's football field doesn't have a lighting system so they have morning games when they're the home team. It's 10:30 AM and I'm still tired. We lost our homecoming game last week and the team wants to win, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of intensity. They have me warming up one of our receivers on the sideline by throwing the ball to him repeatedly. It's getting to the point that I'm tired of sitting on the sideline in games and I just want to be put into the game for at least a quarter. Throw after throw, the receiver is still catching the ball and doesn't flinch no matter how fast I throw the ball. I don't know whether it's the level of trust he has that I'll always throw the ball to a nice placement for him or if it's the fact that he's been starting on varsity for four years, but either way he seems like there's a level of confidence he has with each route that he runs with me. And then we stopped running routes. A bee had stung me. I'm not allergic or anything but it itches a lot and it's really annoying. Anyway, they told me I'd be playing quarterback for the power offense, meaning I would run into the game when the ball is in short distance of the goal line and they need to jam the ball in. The first and second quarter go by with us getting a defensive touchdown and the extra point attempt being good, but I still haven't touched the field. Nearing the end of the half Christiana scores, making it a close game of 7 to 6. The ball is being moved very little and it gets to the third half. The head coach is getting visibly angry and gets to the point where he tells the quarterback to sit down and calls me over. He puts me in the game. The offensive coordinator looks at me and I can tell there's doubt in his eyes. He says "I-Slot Right 302 Pass." It's been called before in the game, several times, and failed, several times. I go to the huddle and call the play. The huddle breaks and I turn around. The defense is in cover 2 meaning a wide open middle, exactly where I want the ball. I look to my right side and see the slant route is ran by one of the fastest receivers, but  he's short, meaning there'd be little to see over a nearly 6 foot line. The ball is snapped and I drop back and I see a glimpse of a light blue helmet between two of the line, I fire the ball. I hear a loud pop and the line looks up and raises their arms. The receiver was hit in the chest with the football and was running down the field at nearly the speed of light. The light blue helmet never turned back. Down to the 20 yard line, he made it before he tripped, a total of 49 yards, the biggest play of the game. I went back to the sideline and the coach smiled at me while the Offensive Coordinator stood shocked, he simply asked "Could you even see him?" The coach stopped an answer and said to do the same play. I went back out and fired another pass and it ended on the three yard line. We  rushed to the line with our power formation and continued to push the ball into the end zone for 6 more points. We ended up winning the game 21-12 and I believe I secured a spot as starting quarterback.