Ode to Cheer This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Who would ever think
That cheer isn’t a sport?
We practice
We perform
We compete
We win
Do you have what it takes?
Yelling so loud
The next day you can’t be heard
Memorizing
A million tiny moves
To show off
In front of a team that never wins
Throwing that girl in the air
Her life in your hands
Your muscles scream in protest
But you catch her anyway
Sacrificing yourself
For 20 girls
On one mat
With one chance to stick it

ARandomKid said...
Jan. 26, 2012 at 7:30 am:
Im A Guy And Cheerleading Rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Santa said...
Dec. 21, 2011 at 10:08 am:
beautiful...

Lauren B. said...
Oct. 8, 2011 at 10:59 am:
I don't know what to think about the whole thing, but I can tell you that this is a NONFICTION section, and this sounds (is) an opinion no matter who's on which side. Nonfiction is based off facts an ode is praising something, not truly facts.

softballhottie11 said...
Sept. 16, 2011 at 8:34 am:
i cheered for  years and i think that the girls need more respect. there are more injuries in cheerleading than any other sport. ever. it doesnt matter what they look like, it only matters how they perform. my school in ohio is rated number one in the country, look us up. 3 years running. we work extreamely hard and get good results. get on my level.

Cheerselite<3 said...
Feb. 17, 2011 at 2:02 pm:
When most people think of cheerleading they think of sideline cheering. Thats not all there is, competitive cheerleading is more than that. It takes skills, flexibility, strength and much more. We compete, travel, and win. Get on my level;)

beastyboy said...
Feb. 8, 2011 at 8:36 am:
yea im a football player and they dont need cheerleaders there just enoying but if there hot its ok

heatlebron6 replied...
Feb. 8, 2011 at 8:38 am :
Well i totally agrree of that beastyboy haha and there should just be cheerleaders at the playoffs and the championship games

beastyboy replied...
Feb. 8, 2011 at 8:39 am :
yea because what do they do???????

heatlebron6 replied...
Feb. 8, 2011 at 8:39 am :
be fine very fine

beastyboy replied...
Feb. 8, 2011 at 8:41 am :
whaaaaaaatttttt that means nothing the only thing i like about cheering is the girls are sometimes hott but  i like to go out with soccer players!!!!!!!!!!

heatlebron6 replied...
Feb. 8, 2011 at 8:43 am :
ight but i still think that they should sometimes and i like the ones that play any sports haha

beastyboy replied...
Feb. 8, 2011 at 8:44 am :
i know just di=ont jreally like cheerleaders

heatlebron6 replied...
Feb. 8, 2011 at 8:45 am :

OK BUT EVERYONE THAT SEES THIS COMENT

Ansley said...
Jun. 10, 2010 at 2:58 am:
I was a cheerleader a few years back, before suffering an arm injury. People may think Cheerleading isn't a sport, but that's their opipion of cheerleading. They don't know difference between High School and Competive. Competive; your train from when your 6-18, high school is just 4 years. You don't wear anything to protect yourselves in cheerleading. People die from cheerleading injuries... and their most common injury's in women. But, You think what you want, those competive cheerleaders can t... (more »)

ohsnapitsrose said...
May 2, 2010 at 9:27 am:
i understand when people say cheerleading isn't a sport when it's just cheering at games. i understand that, and i think those cheerleaders offer people a terrible sterotype. but the world of competitive cheerleading is a completely different story; it takes an incredible amount of strength and endurance. youtube a few videos before you bash cheerleading. try Top gun, fca diamonds, or california all stars. the aim of cheerleading is to win. just like any other sport.

Pine Tar said...
Apr. 28, 2010 at 10:07 am:
Dance and cheerleading are not sports!! Get it through your head.  There is no objective of cheerleading.

WritingAngel20 said...
Jan. 24, 2010 at 11:46 am:
Cheerleading is a sport, it's form of dance and dance is a sport. Cheerleading is probably one of the harder sports too, you have to be flexible, strong, and fast like in gymnastics

lovetodance8 said...
ok cheer is a sport. i know it takes hard work and you do have to sacrifice yourself for that human life you are throwing in the air. its painful and it takes dedication. like dancers they perform in front of crowds in size bigger than any crowd that comes to your games.its a rush and we have adrenaline pumping through our veins. we come home hurt and bruised and sore. we practice long hours. we lift people and you run around in circles!

big rhonda said...
you see, i'm a big woman. i play softball (the catcher) basketball, and mens football. cheerleading is 100% NOT a sport. it is just a reason for the fine looking ladies to wear mini skirts and gives the guys something hot to look at. THUGS FO LIFE DAWG

Cheer:) replied...
Dec. 10, 2009 at 1:36 pm :
Cheerleading is a sport.. lol and to Big rhonda lol you stupid, what type of woman plays mens football! seriously.. stop bashing cheerleading.. we can do what you can do(play foot ball/baseball/softball) but i highly doubt you can do what we do.