The Newsiest College Sensation | Teen Ink

The Newsiest College Sensation

By fortunenicole12 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
fortunenicole12 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

Ben McLemore is the new college sensation. The six foot five inch freshman from St. Louis, MO currently plays for the Kansas Jayhawks. Averaging nearly 30 points a game, he is expected to make it to the NBA.
The Missouri native grew up in an unfortunate state. With his father out of the picture, older brother incarcerated and mom working two sometimes three jobs, basketball was all he had when his family wasn’t around--practicing dusk ‘till dawn, he became a natural. He always had the dream to play in the NBA and earn enough money to finally help support his family. That dream is about to come a reality.
Breaking record after record, and scoring more points in each game than in the last, he is rumored to be the number one draft pick in the league. Though being the first round draft pick leaves you with a not-so-good professional team, his dream of being able to support his family will finally come true.
While most players let the fame get to their head, McLemore continues to stay humble. He is always willing to meet the fans—shake hands, give autographs, and take pictures.
Coach Self (head coach for the Jayhawks) said, "He loves getting up and going to class. He loves the camaraderie with his fellow students. He loves signing autographs. He loves taking pictures with fans. He loves it all. He is one of those kids who has enjoyed everything. The concern is that it will start to become overwhelming to him. Maybe it has started a little bit, I don't know if it really has or not. But I have not seen a kid enjoy being a college student much more than him."
McLemore says he would love nothing more than to stay at Kansas and play all four (even five) years as a Jayhawk. But his with his family’s financial situation, he has to play the game to earn some money, which means leaving Kansas and heading to the NBA.