Keep your eyes on the board | Teen Ink

Keep your eyes on the board

May 21, 2013
By kjoyo94 SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
kjoyo94 SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Joshua Colas, 14, from White Plains, New York is “one of the youngest chess masters in history.

Colas says, “when I was 7, my dad took me to a chess tournament.” And that is how a little 14 year old gets started on the game of chess.

“Chess is a board game you play against one person. You move your pieces around the squares and use them to guard the king. To win, you have to “checkmate” your opponent’s king by blocking it,” says Colas.

To get good, Colas plays chess almost every day online and in local tournaments. And to practice his concentration skills, Colas plays the cello and video games “which can be great practice for strategic thinking,” says Colas.

Colas says, “I became a chess “master.” When I was 12 and a “life master” at 13. I want to reach the highest level, “grand-master,” before I graduate from high school. I’d like to play chess professionally.”

Colas is one of about 13 people in the U.S. under the age of 14 to have the name chess “master.”

Adults were scared to play Colas at first. They didn’t want to lose to a kid. Now they’re used to him.

In a chess tournament, “It is total silence- very competitive. Your opponent will try to distract you, doing little things like staring at the ceiling or rolling up their sleeves as if to say, “I’m ready for battle!” The key is to keep your eyes on the board. In a tough match, I have to focus on the game and nothing else.”


The author's comments:
it was written off of a prompt given to me by my teacher.