The Best of the Best | Teen Ink

The Best of the Best

By alecjacob22 BRONZE, El Dorado, Kansas
alecjacob22 BRONZE, El Dorado, Kansas

Michael Jordan is the best player ever to play the game of basketball. He was the hardest working athlete in his prime. He has many famous quotes on why he was so successful and how he became a great athlete, but his number one reason was hard work. Michael was cut from his high school varsity basketball team his sophomore year. Many people would have given in, and “accepted” the fact that they weren’t good enough. Not Michael Jordan. He was put on the JV team and dominated it. He was only 5’7”, and dunked in one of his games. He used his coach’s disbelief in him as fuel to get better. His junior year he started varsity.

After high school, Jordan went to the University of North Carolina. No one suspected him to turn out as the best player in the world; they just looked at him like another name on the roster. He knew he was destined for greatness though, and he kept up his work ethic. One game he hit a game winner, his freshmen year, then he was recognized worldwide. After his junior year was over Jordan decided to go pro.

Here are a few of Michael Jordan’s quotes on hard work: “My attitude is that if you push me towards something that you think is a weakness, then I will turn that perceived weakness into a strength”. “I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed”. “Every time I feel tired while I am exercising and training, I close my eyes to see that picture, to see that list with my name. This usually motivates me to work again.” This last quote was about his name not being on the varsity roster. His attitude and work ethic are what made him the greatest basketball player to ever play.

Michael Jordan is an inspiration to many kids across the globe, and definitely inspires me to be the best I can be.