Dive Right In! | Teen Ink

Dive Right In!

By Ambercrombie SILVER, Chandler, Arizona
Ambercrombie SILVER, Chandler, Arizona

"A wasted day is one without a smile" ;D

“ Erica! Shelly!”I call from the two-meter springboard to two of my diving teammates. I’m at the Fitness For Life sports Center, ready to dive into the clear, soothing pool. “Any advice on how to improve my back dive?” I asked. I really want to nail the “back dive straight” for the upcoming diving competition.
“Use your eyes,” Shelly suggests. “But don’t look back until after you’ve ‘set’ your arms.” Shelly is the number one diver on the team, just ahead of you. Not to mention, but she’s also my best friend! I’ve always admired her perfect posture and sleek blond hair.
“Arch backward a little more when you take off.” Erica adds with a smile. Erica may not be number one on the team, but she’s number one at helping her friends.

I nodded gratefully and walked toward the end of the board. Chest pounding, I inched forward until I see the water right below me. I took a deep breath and turned around. Then I stretched my arms high and balanced on the balls of my feet. I sprang up, set my arms in a T position, arch slightly, and then start looking for the water. As I drop, my arms come together over my head. I line up tight and sliced into the cold water.

When my head pops up to the surface, I’m beaming with relief and happiness. Relieved that I didn’t hit the water badly or injured a muscle, and happy that I finally aced this move. There’s no better feeling than doing a great dive!