The Secret to Happiness | Teen Ink

The Secret to Happiness

By holly1999 GOLD, Middlesbrough, Other
holly1999 GOLD, Middlesbrough, Other

'There was no need to clarify my finger snap, the implication was clear in the snap itself' - Magnus Bane

Horse riding is a versatile and enjoyable activity. From a relaxing hack in the countryside to the tension and excitement of jumping against the clock, there really is something for everyone.

Whether you rode as a child and would like to pick up the reins again, have never ridden before or just want to brush up on your skills; you'll find a riding school near you to suit you needs.

If you're looking for a pastime to suit all the family, horse riding is perfect! People of all ages take it up, so don't be put off.

Imagine creating a strong bond with and animal as powerful as a horse! Many people are deterred by the size and strength of the animals, but don't be. Horses are some of the kindest and gentlest animals you will ever meet.

Imagine staring into the soulful, trusting eyes of the creature that would try it's heart out for you and ask for nothing in return.

Perfecting a new skill in the arena, going for a quiet hack or even just watching your horse graze happily is just the tonic you need after a stressful day at work or school.

on Oct. 17 2013 at 9:21 am
Calliashi SILVER, Litchfield Park, Arizona

The man with the key is king and honey, you should see me in a crown. ~James Moriarty

Another horse story! This one was just as good as the others I read :) I enjoyed this one too and you were able to connect the reader even in such a short piece.

holly1999 GOLD said...
on Oct. 16 2013 at 2:29 pm
holly1999 GOLD, Middlesbrough, Other

Thanks everyone! :)

on Jul. 2 2013 at 11:14 am
D0rkl0rd BRONZE, Richardson, Texas

"Impossible is only defined by the technology and ideas of the modern age" - Me

This is amazing. You captured the beauty and emotion of not only riding horces, but also of the animals themselves. Great job, and I love that you kept it short while still giving excellent descriptions.

on Jun. 27 2013 at 9:13 am
Cutey-Beauty SILVER, Ulaanbaator, Other

Soli Deo Gloria.

Very simple-but a bit short at the end. I can feel how you feel about horses-I like horses a lot and ride whenever I can (but they're not my passion, as they are to you obviously). KEEP WRITING GIRL ;)

on Jun. 12 2013 at 10:54 pm
PhoenixCrossing GOLD, Tinley Park, Illinois
The topic is very genuine and the title suits it well. You have to work on your support and thesis restatement because the whole thing sounds more like an opinion than an argument, which makes it less enticing to read.

on May. 26 2013 at 10:40 am
GreekGoddess BRONZE, Andover, Connecticut

"The unprepared rebel dies in the fire."
~unknown

I live on a horse farm so I know all about riding. This was a little bit repetative and I think you could have used to describe the horse a little bit more. So true about the tonic. Part of the problem with this was though was you didn't acknowledge that there were other pastimes or other things they might enjoy, you made it sound as though riding is the only good thing. 

Mckay ELITE said...
on May. 18 2013 at 2:27 pm
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

I've always been interested in riding horses. I've always loved horses ever since I was young. I've only mounted a horse once. But that was ages ago. This is an entertaining piece. Now, I wanna go horseback riding. 

on Apr. 3 2013 at 9:21 pm
WhenItRains21 GOLD, Magnolia, Texas
As a fellow horse lover and longtime rider, I feel obliged to say this doesn't come near how great it is to ride. xD
It is really great as an informative piece. It's short and concise, with no unneeded information. The only suggestion I have is that towards the end, you use "Imagine" twice to begin a paragraph. Also, "you" is used several times. Maybe this is the correct style for this type of article, but it stands out to me. 
Other than that, well done!

on Apr. 1 2013 at 8:44 am
asdasda1 BRONZE, Ellicott City, Maryland

"Show me a hero and I'll write you a tragedy."
~F. Scott Fitzgerald

This made me want to take up horseback riding, hehe. It is a bit short, but it's to the point. Perhaps, though, the opening could've been a little less abrupt. Wonderful writting nonetheless.

on Mar. 31 2013 at 6:49 pm
readaholic PLATINUM, Tomahawk, Wisconsin

I'd rather fail because I fell on my own face than fall because someone tripped me up
~Jhonen Vasquez

Very good writing.  Really wants me to take up horsebackriding!  I think it could be a little longer, but it's still really good as it is :D

holly1999 GOLD said...
on Mar. 31 2013 at 2:04 pm
holly1999 GOLD, Middlesbrough, Other

Thanks everyone :)

dagnytaggart said...
on Mar. 31 2013 at 1:30 pm
Short and sweet! Good writing style, it seemed youthful and fresh. And I've never been horseback riding, but I want to start now!

on Mar. 31 2013 at 1:12 pm
Literature_Darling GOLD, Warrenton, Virginia

"To live is the rarest thing of all. Most people exsist and that is all." ~Oscar Wilde
"I am a writer quite by accident, the way one my fall and rip a hole in their jeans." ~Blogger H. B. Sachs

It was OK, there were a couple of typos and you used the word "animal" to much. All in all a good piece just be a bit more careful next time...

on Mar. 31 2013 at 11:02 am
Laugh-it-Out PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York, New York

"Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light" --Dylan Thomas

this is funny! it seems very youthfull in a surprisingly springy way. i myself took horse riding lessons for six years so I know all about the joy, and sometimes danger, that you are talking about great job!

on Mar. 30 2013 at 4:44 pm
theloverofbooks SILVER, Valley Stream, New York
This is  very interesting persuasive article. I don't ride myself, but your reasoning made me want to! I love your choice of words: "...just watching your horse gaze happily is just the tonic you need...." So funny! The only advice I would give you would be to use less exclamation points. They are okay in informal writing, but with a more serious, buisnesslike article like this they should be used more sparingly in my opinion. Great article!

on Mar. 30 2013 at 12:55 pm
Choirgirl SILVER, Las Cruces, New Mexico
I like how this is about what brings you happiness.  I am glad that horseback riding is something that you like.  Kepp writing!