Michael Vick: No Hero This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The Michael Vick saga is the story of a man who had everything and lost it all. And I cannot remember a tale more atrocious than his.

In 2001, the Atlanta Falcons selected Vick to be their franchise quarterback. He was seen as the savior of the team. The Falcons were so sure about Vick, they traded a shot at getting LaDainian Tomlinson, who many ­considered the best running back in the NFL. After the 2002 season, when Vick led the Falcons to the playoffs with a 9-6-1 record and beat Brett Favre in Lambeau Field, he received the biggest contract in NFL history: $130 million for 10 years. The following year, Vick missed most of the season with a broken ankle. In 2004, he led Atlanta to the NFC Championship but fell short.

Last year, Vick’s legal issues began to mount. In January, he was held at an airport on possession of marijuana, but tests revealed no illegal substances and he was never charged. In April, Vick was charged and convicted of dogfighting. His sentencing date – December 10th – was the same day the Falcons would play the Saints on Monday Night Football. He was sentenced to 23 months in prison.

In my opinion, this penalty is not harsh enough. By forcing innocent dogs to fight to the death, Vick has disgraced his family, the Falcons, and the city of Atlanta. Vick had a dogfighting ring on his property and mass graves for the burial of these dogs yet he initially pleaded not guilty. This is a testament to how immature Michael Vick really is.

Vick himself made me mad enough, but then I watched the Monday Night game. “Free Vick” signs were visible around the stadium. When Roddy White scored a touchdown, he displayed a “Free Mike Vick” T-shirt. I could only think, Do they know what this man did? He killed innocent animals for his own amusement. And, to me, the reaction by the Falcon fans was distasteful and atrocious. Vick deserved to be disciplined. Atlanta must realize the severity of his actions.

The Falcons and their fans need to move on. To me, Vick has played his last down in the National Football League. And rightfully so.

Michael Vick is no hero. He was an average quarterback who could run. But it’s time for the Falcons to move on and forget him.

poopstain said...
Okay, yes we all know what Vick has done and that he is well hated for that. But i think he has changed now. Everybody deserves second chances, even those who do unthinkable crimes. Go Browns!

koolkat replied...
Ur sooo dumb, like vick killed dogs. if he was killing kids the reaction wouldn't be "move on, give him a second chance. its shouldnt be now either."

gape horn said...
i hear you. micheal vick should be in prison. what sick and dimented person treats little inossent animals like that. And overall good description

Mike23 replied...
yall all wrong

machadosays said...
Oct. 16, 2010 at 11:53 am
It does not matter how well a man can play in football- or any other sport for that matter. The fact that people were still cheering this man on after knowing he had killed innocent animals is upsetting. Nobody is overlooking his reasonable punishment; we all just know he was wrong for what he did. If Vick is so good at what he does, then why put himself in jeopardy by being so ignorant? just a thought.

4norsemen replied...
I think we put to much emphasis on athletes personal lives look like. If a football player is truly just another working person then why don't we treat them as such? Think of all the crimes of equal or greater severity that happen every day that don't recieve nearly as much attention.

Shrimp Fried Rice said...

u a horrible person look at yo name

that's who did this

Jo-Jo said...
If he wasn't fighting the dogs he souldn't have got in trouble

jreedy7 said...
Oct. 15, 2010 at 9:26 am
i think Mike Vick deserves the attention because he has been through so much and what he did he paid the price for his dogfighting and now its time to move on and put the past behind him and let people know that he is still the guy we knew a couple years ago leading the falcons. And also he is now donating and finding stuff out for dogfight and i think about more than 100 dogfighting clubs have been found and stopped because of him  

4norsemen said...
Oct. 15, 2010 at 12:28 am
First off, saying Vick should have been sentenced longer is ridiculous. While I in no way support what he did, I think his sentence was long enough if not too long. He didn't recieve the minimum for his crime, he got the book thrown at him. The average jail time for dog fighting is 30 to 90 days and 2 years of probation. As for Vick being an average quarterback, well thats less than true. I compared the stats of Vick, Drew Bledsoe, Mark Brunell, Boomer Esiason, and Warren Moon. Vicks TD/INT rati... (more »)

Mr. BOb said...

That is really sad that he did such a thing. I also think he should have been band from the NFL for longer.

EssEnce.S replied...
His Social life has nonthing to do with his professional life.!

weiner boys replied...
Oct. 15, 2010 at 9:27 am
i AGREE With You

BeautifulXWallflower replied...
He CHOSE to have his social life a PART of his professional life when he chose to be a PROFESSIONAL athlete. That was the price he paid, just like any other celebrity. You get the stardom and the attention and the money but you ALSO get millions of kids looking up to you and therefore you need to accept your punishment just like everyone else and try to set a GOOD example. If some random, average-Joe was dog fighting, people in that neighborhood would be upset and hate him. But because Mike Vick... (more »)

Big Fat Boy Bobby said...
I can't believe Vick lost all he had just to watch dogs fight! It makes me sad:(

eruhjsry said...
i think it was sad about what him making his dogs fight/:

sallysunshine said...
I think it is unbelieveable what michael vick has done the past years.

Yo mamma did it said...
i agree mike vic is a horrible person

heatlebron6 replied...
Nov. 18, 2010 at 8:44 am
I dont agree he is a great person!

StupidAndFearless replied...

Why? Because he can throw and catch and run?

Michael Vick personally killed eight dogs. Using hanging, electrocution, and shooting. These dogs were dogs that refused to fight no matter how much they were abused. That was the personal part. That's not counting the number of dogs that were MURDERED by other dogs, because he starved them, prodded them, beat them, and kept them in extremely unsanitary and horrible conditions. Female dogs were strapped into stands so they could be raped rep... (more »)

balla97 said...
I LOVE HIM! MICHAEL VICK WAS INNOCENT! HIS BROTHER SET HIM UP!! FREE HIM!!!!!