Michael Vick: No Hero This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The Michael Vick saga is the story of a man who had everything and lost it all. And I cannot remember a tale more atrocious than his.

In 2001, the Atlanta Falcons selected Vick to be their franchise quarterback. He was seen as the savior of the team. The Falcons were so sure about Vick, they traded a shot at getting LaDainian Tomlinson, who many ­considered the best running back in the NFL. After the 2002 season, when Vick led the Falcons to the playoffs with a 9-6-1 record and beat Brett Favre in Lambeau Field, he received the biggest contract in NFL history: $130 million for 10 years. The following year, Vick missed most of the season with a broken ankle. In 2004, he led Atlanta to the NFC Championship but fell short.

Last year, Vick’s legal issues began to mount. In January, he was held at an airport on possession of marijuana, but tests revealed no illegal substances and he was never charged. In April, Vick was charged and convicted of dogfighting. His sentencing date – December 10th – was the same day the Falcons would play the Saints on Monday Night Football. He was sentenced to 23 months in prison.

In my opinion, this penalty is not harsh enough. By forcing innocent dogs to fight to the death, Vick has disgraced his family, the Falcons, and the city of Atlanta. Vick had a dogfighting ring on his property and mass graves for the burial of these dogs yet he initially pleaded not guilty. This is a testament to how immature Michael Vick really is.

Vick himself made me mad enough, but then I watched the Monday Night game. “Free Vick” signs were visible around the stadium. When Roddy White scored a touchdown, he displayed a “Free Mike Vick” T-shirt. I could only think, Do they know what this man did? He killed innocent animals for his own amusement. And, to me, the reaction by the Falcon fans was distasteful and atrocious. Vick deserved to be disciplined. Atlanta must realize the severity of his actions.

The Falcons and their fans need to move on. To me, Vick has played his last down in the National Football League. And rightfully so.

Michael Vick is no hero. He was an average quarterback who could run. But it’s time for the Falcons to move on and forget him.

Seriously? said...

It's ridiculous that Michael Vick gets less than 2 years in prision for torturing and murdering living creatures, yet Plaxico Burress, who didn't hurt anyone except himeself, gets roughly the same sentence plus 2 years probation?

Apparently hurting yourself and murdering innocents are worth the same in the eyes of the law.

You have to be a disturbed individual to partake in animal brutality. Plus most people who abuse or harm others have started out by abusing and harming animal... (more »)

therezzyman replied...
Dec. 16, 2010 at 11:02 am :
ik plax is the best

bean123 said...
i think it disgusting what vick did. i was never a big fan of him and his conviction did nothing to improve my views of him. however, you have to put yourself in his shoes. he was born to two unmarried parents and raised in a bad neighborhood with drug dealing and drive bys. it's hard to rise above how you were born. he already did that by becoming a pro athlete. he made a mistake that was probably influenced by his childhood. how much blame can you put on him?

AliceLevene said...
Dec. 13, 2010 at 2:04 am:
Ummm, he's not the only one who kills animals for amusement. Have you ever heard of hunters? And what they do is legal. At least he went to jail for this, so many people don't even get as much as a smack on the rist.

CatherineK replied...
Dec. 14, 2010 at 8:15 am :
actually in some places hunting it legal because it helps with animal population control. But I completely agree with the author. People need to accept the fact that he did something wrong and move on.

dnfundela replied...
Jan. 7, 2011 at 7:52 pm :
I hate to break it to you, but hunting is not someone gaining pleasure from the torture and suffering of other animals as Vick did.  Hunters, in general, respect the creatures for what they are, living beings, and do their best to provide a quick death.  Unless you are a complete vegetarian and wear no leather, drink no milk and eat not eggs, you are a hypocrite.  Your killing is done by proxy, but you are still responsible.

Alice_L replied...
Jan. 8, 2011 at 1:06 am :

Actually yes, I am a full on vegan. I do not associate myself with any animal products. I am not a animal activist but I can get annoyed by non-vegan/vegetarian people making ridiculous fusses about other people hurting animals! The author might be vegan, but I don't think all the commenters who agree with her/him are! And that is hypocritical!

I don't know how many hunters you know but pull-ezze! I know several hunters. Hunters do not hunt for the sake of pu... (more »)

dnfundela replied...
Jan. 16, 2011 at 6:29 pm :
I happen to know, and associate with, many hunters and fishers.  The majority of which have the interests of the animals and conservation in mind.  As a full-on vegan, clearly you should understand the horrific impact the world and animals would suffer if all humans took your approach.  The devastation through loss of animal habitat for your farms, the pesticides and herbicides being sprayed, the huge carbon footprint left by farming, not to mention the horrors that would inflicte... (more »)

Hawthorn replied...
Feb. 23, 2011 at 9:04 am :
Hunting can help people understand and appreciate nature. Also eating fresh deer meat is probably a lot better for the environment than eating a commercially raised steak not to mention healthier.

Echosong replied...
Nov. 15, 2013 at 8:15 pm :
I would like to make the point that the fact that you said that "Hunters respect life and the beauty it brings" is utterly and completly  Ridiculous!!! how do they respect life by KILLING it??!!

EchoSong replied...
Nov. 15, 2013 at 8:20 pm :
and one more thing, WHOO-HOO Alice_L on being full vegan!!! I am just a strict vegitairian but we have our own chickens and use a local dairy which is crulty free and very responsible! 

6605clj said...
Michael Vick is human just like the rest of us. We all make mistakes, and expect others to forgive us. I feel that Michael Vick made a mistake that he regretted during 23 months in prison, but it made him a better person. Atlanta Falcons have moved on from the incident, and now work harder than they did when Vick played for them.

dnfundela replied...
Jan. 7, 2011 at 7:54 pm :
Six years of repeated behavior is not a mistake, that's a personality trait and in his case, it's sick and twisted.

number 1 said...
Yay # 1 anyway i feel that Vick does deserve what he got because he commited a crime.

Steelers rock said...
I think Michael Vick is a great QB but not because he is rich and famous he is not going to pay for what he has done

EaglesGirl10 said...
Wow....Really?!  I can't believe this article.  Yeah, I do love dogs, but the man did his time, let him alone.  Mike Vick is an amazinggg QB & I think he shows that on the field.  He understands what he did wrong, if u would watch the NFL channel, u would see all of the shows of him apologizing for what he did.  I was really disappointed in him for dog fighting, but he knows what he did wrong & he apologized.  Give the man a chance.  I believe everyone ... (more »)

prezgucci replied...
Dec. 10, 2010 at 1:02 pm :
I agree, he is working even harder and is so much more of an amazing qb after the incident ,since he realized his terrible mistake.

dnfundela replied...
Jan. 7, 2011 at 7:56 pm :
Wow....really?!  You actually think his apologies are sincere?!  He's only sorry that he got caught and he's trying to look good for his image.  Get your head out of the sand.

Mike23 said...
Micheal Vick is the best and will stay the best.That messed his life up but. 

poopstain said...
Okay, yes we all know what Vick has done and that he is well hated for that. But i think he has changed now. Everybody deserves second chances, even those who do unthinkable crimes. Go Browns!

reply to poopstain replied...
Nov. 2, 2010 at 3:04 pm :
you are stupid,