Michael Vick: No Hero This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The Michael Vick saga is the story of a man who had everything and lost it all. And I cannot remember a tale more atrocious than his.

In 2001, the Atlanta Falcons selected Vick to be their franchise quarterback. He was seen as the savior of the team. The Falcons were so sure about Vick, they traded a shot at getting LaDainian Tomlinson, who many ­considered the best running back in the NFL. After the 2002 season, when Vick led the Falcons to the playoffs with a 9-6-1 record and beat Brett Favre in Lambeau Field, he received the biggest contract in NFL history: $130 million for 10 years. The following year, Vick missed most of the season with a broken ankle. In 2004, he led Atlanta to the NFC Championship but fell short.

Last year, Vick’s legal issues began to mount. In January, he was held at an airport on possession of marijuana, but tests revealed no illegal substances and he was never charged. In April, Vick was charged and convicted of dogfighting. His sentencing date – December 10th – was the same day the Falcons would play the Saints on Monday Night Football. He was sentenced to 23 months in prison.

In my opinion, this penalty is not harsh enough. By forcing innocent dogs to fight to the death, Vick has disgraced his family, the Falcons, and the city of Atlanta. Vick had a dogfighting ring on his property and mass graves for the burial of these dogs yet he initially pleaded not guilty. This is a testament to how immature Michael Vick really is.

Vick himself made me mad enough, but then I watched the Monday Night game. “Free Vick” signs were visible around the stadium. When Roddy White scored a touchdown, he displayed a “Free Mike Vick” T-shirt. I could only think, Do they know what this man did? He killed innocent animals for his own amusement. And, to me, the reaction by the Falcon fans was distasteful and atrocious. Vick deserved to be disciplined. Atlanta must realize the severity of his actions.

The Falcons and their fans need to move on. To me, Vick has played his last down in the National Football League. And rightfully so.

Michael Vick is no hero. He was an average quarterback who could run. But it’s time for the Falcons to move on and forget him.

bigdog said...
Mar. 1, 2011 at 9:35 am:
supppp cammmmm babyyyy

thebesticanbe22 said...
Mar. 1, 2011 at 9:33 am:
get off his dickkk you whiteeee ppl

imadawg replied...
Mar. 1, 2011 at 9:36 am :
micheal vick can go suck a big stick!

LITTTLE DOGGG said...
Mar. 1, 2011 at 9:33 am:
BIG DOG WHATS GOOOOODDDDD :D ITS CAM

bmac2356 said...
Feb. 28, 2011 at 8:25 am:
give the guy a break, he messed up, nobodys perfect but more importantly he has changed his life and become such a better person that has learned from his mistakes so you need grow up and you are the immature one

CCHUCKYKILLZ YA 450 replied...
Mar. 1, 2011 at 9:29 am :
LEAVE EM ALONE HES A CHANGED MAN HOW WOULD YOU LIKE IF I KEPT TALKING ABOUT YOU PAST

mvick replied...
Mar. 1, 2011 at 9:39 am :
Micheal vick is a bad bad man!

chucky is not cool replied...
Mar. 1, 2011 at 9:40 am :
Shutupp ur fat

WerewolfWriting said...
Feb. 17, 2011 at 7:56 pm:
I've read all the books on that man and I can't even say his name without spitting. The world shames him on his past but forgets the moment he steps onto the football field. You can NOT seperate Michael Vick from his past and you can NOT untangle the souls he will forever carry. Your writing style is very good. Well done.

james replied...
Mar. 1, 2011 at 9:32 am :
well you need to know how to say his name because  he is a best

loulou16 said...
Feb. 17, 2011 at 4:43 pm:
I think what vick did was wrong but he got time in prison and he got what he deserved. Everyone deserves a second chance in life.  How would you like it if you were sentenced for life because of one mistake? He did it and got punished. End of story.  He should be allowed to live a life just like the rest of us.

anon said...
Feb. 6, 2011 at 3:14 pm:
oh my goodness, i cant belive some of the comments. its obvious that alot of these people are football fans, saying that he only deserved a slap on the wrist is an excuse because they want him to play again. animals can feel and have a life to, let them enjoy it! vick deserves so much more prison time.

EchoSong replied...
Nov. 15, 2013 at 8:03 pm :
I agree, Especialy about people being blinded by being footbal fans! what he did wasnt incredibly unhumane and sickining, i hope he understands that! just because they are animals doesnt mean that you can treat them like they dont matter or that they dont have lives they should be happily living!!!! the dog fighting was bad enough but what relyy hurt me was when I found out that he had been MURDERING the ones that woulng lose!!! I started crying

ALB99 said...
Feb. 2, 2011 at 12:22 pm:
good story, but he proved you wrong on the whole last down in the nfl situation. also the penalty was too harsh, vick gets 23 months for killing a dog but stallworth got more over a peerson

ALB99 replied...
Feb. 2, 2011 at 12:23 pm :
typo, meant to say stallworth didnt get jail time

MickelHunt said...
Jan. 7, 2011 at 9:36 am:
Wow this story is just idk Vick got 2 years for killing a dog but Donte Stallworth didn't go to jail and he killed a man for drunk driving so aparrently dogs are more important then humans

Skywalker42 said...
Jan. 6, 2011 at 7:22 am:
bean123 Your right people need to just forget about this and move on,like honestly when the white man does it it's called sporting. But when a black man does it it's called murder.That goes to show that racism is still alive.

sandralek said...
Are you kidding me? This is not a good article. I completely disagree. Yes, it may be wrong dog fighting, but the government is making this country NOT a free country by making laws like this. He should NOT be put in jail and I completely understand and agree with the falcons’ players and the organization. This post is a disgrace. Mike Vick was just exercising something that should of been free, but wasn't. Our government has turned into an oligarchy. And this is a disgrace. I cannot belie... (more »)

Alice_L replied...
Jan. 8, 2011 at 1:09 am :

Oh yes! The government is a disaster!! Did you hear?? They put murderers in jail! This is a free country!! What is the world coming to?!! 

You make me laugh. 

Seriously? said...

It's ridiculous that Michael Vick gets less than 2 years in prision for torturing and murdering living creatures, yet Plaxico Burress, who didn't hurt anyone except himeself, gets roughly the same sentence plus 2 years probation?

Apparently hurting yourself and murdering innocents are worth the same in the eyes of the law.

You have to be a disturbed individual to partake in animal brutality. Plus most people who abuse or harm others have started out by abusing and harming animal... (more »)