Michael Vick: No Hero | Teen Ink

Michael Vick: No Hero MAG

The Michael Vick saga is the story of a man who had everything and lost it all. And I cannot remember a tale more atrocious than his.

In 2001, the Atlanta Falcons selected Vick to be their franchise quarterback. He was seen as the savior of the team. The Falcons were so sure about Vick, they traded a shot at getting LaDainian Tomlinson, who many ­considered the best running back in the NFL. After the 2002 season, when Vick led the Falcons to the playoffs with a 9-6-1 record and beat Brett Favre in Lambeau Field, he received the biggest contract in NFL history: $130 million for 10 years. The following year, Vick missed most of the season with a broken ankle. In 2004, he led Atlanta to the NFC Championship but fell short.

Last year, Vick’s legal issues began to mount. In January, he was held at an airport on possession of marijuana, but tests revealed no illegal substances and he was never charged. In April, Vick was charged and convicted of dogfighting. His sentencing date – December 10th – was the same day the Falcons would play the Saints on Monday Night Football. He was sentenced to 23 months in prison.

In my opinion, this penalty is not harsh enough. By forcing innocent dogs to fight to the death, Vick has disgraced his family, the Falcons, and the city of Atlanta. Vick had a dogfighting ring on his property and mass graves for the burial of these dogs yet he initially pleaded not guilty. This is a testament to how immature Michael Vick really is.

Vick himself made me mad enough, but then I watched the Monday Night game. “Free Vick” signs were visible around the stadium. When Roddy White scored a touchdown, he displayed a “Free Mike Vick” T-shirt. I could only think, Do they know what this man did? He killed innocent animals for his own amusement. And, to me, the reaction by the Falcon fans was distasteful and atrocious. Vick deserved to be disciplined. Atlanta must realize the severity of his actions.

The Falcons and their fans need to move on. To me, Vick has played his last down in the National Football League. And rightfully so.

Michael Vick is no hero. He was an average quarterback who could run. But it’s time for the Falcons to move on and forget him.

RosieB. GOLD said...
on Jul. 21 2011 at 12:34 am
RosieB. GOLD, Torrance, California
I was wondering... How exactly did Mike Vick redeem himself? By doing what he was paid to do when he was released from prison? I agree with the idea of 'forgive-and-forget' as you have mentioned, but I think people need to realize that although Mike Vick is an incredible athlete, he is still a convicted felon who spent almost two years in jail for an inhumane and utterly replusive crime. 

on Jul. 5 2011 at 2:52 pm
Jean16Bean PLATINUM, Batavia, New York

"Writing is not hard. Just get paper and pencil, sit down and write as it occurs to you. The writing is easy-it's the occurring that's hard."-Stephen Leacock

So true! He should not be released just becuase he is a good football player. You are a very good writer.

on Jun. 29 2011 at 3:44 pm
ashleyX13 PLATINUM, Memphis, Tennessee

"I've made mistakes; not one regret." Alyssa Nicolson

i really appreciate the down-to-earth style of your writing and congrats on getting into the magazine! i agree with you: michael vick is a jerk but i think he should get a second chance. everyone does things wrong and hes no different. although his behavior is inappropriate, michael vick deserves a second chance (much to my distaste)

dewragguu said...
on May. 16 2011 at 6:09 pm
i hope you know that vick is playing on the phillidelphia eagles now... so unless his untapped baseball potential suddenly shined through, hes still a football player.  genius.

fire2 BRONZE said...
on May. 6 2011 at 9:29 am
fire2 BRONZE, Duncombe, Iowa
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

when the power plants in japan exploded

This is a vary good story and nice ending

Ace Venchura said...
on May. 4 2011 at 10:34 am
I used to like vick when he first joind the team, he went all the way. he was my favorite on the team and i thought he was  good person but i was rong he made dogs fight to the death! its unbelivable who would do that kinda thing. I never liked vick again but im mad that hes playing for the philidelfia philies and sadly hes doing well.

7498753 said...
on May. 4 2011 at 10:24 am
I agree with both people on these sides of the story. when i heard about ther Michael Vick dogfighting incedent, i thought people were joking. Sadly, Vick did commit the crime. he was such a huge star! growing up i was always hearing about Vicks almost mythical quarterback skills and the fame of the falcons always was blaring on ESPN. Vick sadly threw all of it away with the dogfighting ring. in my opinion he was already making enough money in the NFL! He honestly should have been punished more,... (more »)

dhhhhhhhhb said...
on May. 4 2011 at 10:22 am
I agree with both people on these sides of the story. when i heard about ther Michael Vick dogfighting incedent, i thought people were joking. Sadly, Vick did commit the crime. he was such a huge star! growing up i was always hearing about Vicks almost mythical quarterback skills and the fame of the falcons always was blaring on ESPN. Vick sadly threw all of it away with the dogfighting ring. in my opinion he was already making enough money in the NFL! He honestly should have been punished more,...

on May. 4 2011 at 9:49 am
I agree with both people on these sides of the story. when i heard about ther Michael Vick dogfighting incedent, i thought people were joking. Sadly, Vick did commit the crime. he was such a huge star! growing up i was always hearing about Vicks almost mythical quarterback skills and the fame of the falcons always was blaring on ESPN. Vick sadly threw all of it away with the dogfighting ring. in my opinion he was already making enough money in the NFL! He honestly should have been punished more, and his NFL career saved him from a more severe punishment. i also agree that Vick should be forgiven for the incedent. everyone deserves a second chance, and im glad Vick is back in the NFL. we all make mistakes, some people more than others. he deserves forgiveness

on Apr. 24 2011 at 7:10 pm
LovelyDuckling GOLD, Hamilton, Montana

A vision without action is a hallucination.

i agree with you when you say that we should not worship athletes and that what Michael Vick did was wrong, but what happened to forgiveness? I know that some people commit worse wrongdoings than others, and that they should be punished accordingly, but Vick has served his time and seems genuinely sorry. Lay off the guy, we all make mistakes.

on Apr. 24 2011 at 4:00 pm
rockstardream GOLD, I&#39m Not Saying, Georgia

"If you dream it you can do it." ~Walt Disney

Wonderfully written. I know exactly what you mean- I'm a Georgian, home of the Falcons- so it was all over my local news. The only reason people wanted him free is that they were blinded my what they thought was their hero, their favorite football player. Glad to see you are not blinded by petty, atrocious things suck as this man.

ELM522 DIAMOND said...
on Apr. 24 2011 at 10:00 am
ELM522 DIAMOND, Selden, New York

"All those other girls, well they're beautiful, but would they write a song for you?"-"Hey Stephen" by Taylor Swift

I feel the same!  People obsess over sports players and worship them too much!  It was a horrible thing that he did to those dogs.

Snaildaddy said...
on Apr. 21 2011 at 11:59 pm
Snaildaddy, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
I respect your opinion but Mike Vick is no average QB. He is the best in the NFL. Yes he had some problems in the past, but the biggest thing in life is to forgive and forget. Vick has redeemed himself and if you define him by what wrongs he did in life, then you are just being ignorant and selfish.

on Apr. 4 2011 at 9:03 am
RadiahMariaBelak BRONZE, Singapore, Other
i LOVE DOGS!! I LOVE DOGS! nice work!!! 

caedanse said...
on Apr. 2 2011 at 7:49 pm
caedanse, Springfield, Ohio
Feeding the entire population and using puppies as bait just so you build your street cred are two entirely different things.

caedanse said...
on Apr. 2 2011 at 7:34 pm
caedanse, Springfield, Ohio
Michael Vick disgusts me, but he's payed his time and learned from his mistakes. I honestly believe his only regret in prison was getting caught, however. The only problem now is there are still hundreds of dog pits running today. Let's just hope Karma works her magic.

SriX23 said...
on Mar. 30 2011 at 2:42 pm
well, why dont u just go ahead and write an essay on the cruelty of people eating animals like cows and chicken after ending their lives at a slaughter farm? isnt that worse than mike vick? he at least let one dog live. thats natural selection  by charles darwin at work

on Mar. 18 2011 at 10:15 am
travelbuff13 BRONZE, Boise, Idaho

" Life is like a box of bullets, you never know when it's hit you and how bad its gonna hurt."

that was great

Aderes47 GOLD said...
on Mar. 16 2011 at 3:19 pm
Aderes47 GOLD, Cambridge, Massachusetts

You will find as you look back upon your life that the moments when you have truly lived are the moments when you have done things in the spirit of love.
Henry Drummond

No way, buddy. Michael Vick is an awesome quarterback! He is such a good quarterback because he can run and tackle and make touchdowns. he can do anything. He's like a human swiss army knife when it comes to     football.

I love dogs just like anyone else but I think people need to forgive Vick. He's on a good path to recovery. He's not a bad person. Give him another chance. 

HUGE FAN OF MICHAEL VICK

on Mar. 15 2011 at 10:10 am
hi this story was fun and true michael vick is stupid