Michael Vick: No Hero This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The Michael Vick saga is the story of a man who had everything and lost it all. And I cannot remember a tale more atrocious than his.

In 2001, the Atlanta Falcons selected Vick to be their franchise quarterback. He was seen as the savior of the team. The Falcons were so sure about Vick, they traded a shot at getting LaDainian Tomlinson, who many ­considered the best running back in the NFL. After the 2002 season, when Vick led the Falcons to the playoffs with a 9-6-1 record and beat Brett Favre in Lambeau Field, he received the biggest contract in NFL history: $130 million for 10 years. The following year, Vick missed most of the season with a broken ankle. In 2004, he led Atlanta to the NFC Championship but fell short.

Last year, Vick’s legal issues began to mount. In January, he was held at an airport on possession of marijuana, but tests revealed no illegal substances and he was never charged. In April, Vick was charged and convicted of dogfighting. His sentencing date – December 10th – was the same day the Falcons would play the Saints on Monday Night Football. He was sentenced to 23 months in prison.

In my opinion, this penalty is not harsh enough. By forcing innocent dogs to fight to the death, Vick has disgraced his family, the Falcons, and the city of Atlanta. Vick had a dogfighting ring on his property and mass graves for the burial of these dogs yet he initially pleaded not guilty. This is a testament to how immature Michael Vick really is.

Vick himself made me mad enough, but then I watched the Monday Night game. “Free Vick” signs were visible around the stadium. When Roddy White scored a touchdown, he displayed a “Free Mike Vick” T-shirt. I could only think, Do they know what this man did? He killed innocent animals for his own amusement. And, to me, the reaction by the Falcon fans was distasteful and atrocious. Vick deserved to be disciplined. Atlanta must realize the severity of his actions.

The Falcons and their fans need to move on. To me, Vick has played his last down in the National Football League. And rightfully so.

Michael Vick is no hero. He was an average quarterback who could run. But it’s time for the Falcons to move on and forget him.

SriX23 said...
Mar. 30, 2011 at 2:42 pm:
well, why dont u just go ahead and write an essay on the cruelty of people eating animals like cows and chicken after ending their lives at a slaughter farm? isnt that worse than mike vick? he at least let one dog live. thats natural selection  by charles darwin at work

xBrownEyedBlondie replied...
Nov. 2, 2011 at 7:09 pm :
You have a valid point; slaughtering animals for any reason is wrong. Peoples justification is that food-animals are never seen as pets so its different. But myself, and my PET pig Olivia and PET cow Mia, disagree. You cant rightfully say hurting a dog is a crime but hurting a cow is not. They go hand-in-hand; both can feel the pain, the hate, the fear.

hope:) replied...
Nov. 15, 2013 at 7:53 pm :
totally agree! Im a vegitarian and a total animal lover  and I think that dogs and cows or chickens are not that different! no that what he did wasnt wrong! It was revolting and dispicable, but animal rights MUST be stod for! and caedanse no offense but their is always the vegitairian option to feed our country.

travelbuff13 said...
Mar. 18, 2011 at 10:15 am:
that was great

Aderes18 said...
Mar. 16, 2011 at 3:19 pm:

No way, buddy. Michael Vick is an awesome quarterback! He is such a good quarterback because he can run and tackle and make touchdowns. he can do anything. He's like a human swiss army knife when it comes to     football.

I love dogs just like anyone else but I think people need to forgive Vick. He's on a good path to recovery. He's not a bad person. Give him another chance. 

HUGE FAN OF MICHAEL VICK

bobby jo said...
Mar. 14, 2011 at 11:10 am:
Michael vick screwed up his life by dog fighting you had very good detail and very good word choice

sally sunshine replied...
Mar. 15, 2011 at 10:10 am :
hi this story was fun and true michael vick is stupid

ABronson said...
Mar. 14, 2011 at 10:19 am:
I loved the detail you used.

anna1234 said...
Mar. 11, 2011 at 11:35 am:
i love dogs and i think that they are cute

molls146 said...
Mar. 11, 2011 at 11:33 am:
I love dogs I think they are the best. I would love to read that story i sounds good and i looks good.

Anthony 1414 said...
Mar. 11, 2011 at 11:26 am:
I liked your story, really cool.

NACHO!!! said...
Mar. 3, 2011 at 9:52 am:
michael vick is a beast

carn123 said...
Mar. 1, 2011 at 11:15 am:
carn carn carn

beanerboii said...
Mar. 1, 2011 at 9:38 am:
Loyal foyal soyal hoyal !!

CHUCKY IS FAT said...
Mar. 1, 2011 at 9:36 am:
CHUCKY IS FAT !!! EARTHQUAKE STRUCK CHICAGO TODAY

Bearsfann238 replied...
Mar. 1, 2011 at 9:42 am :
Breaking News !!!!!

CCHUCKYKILLZ YA 450 replied...
Mar. 1, 2011 at 9:43 am :
HEATHER GIVES GOOD HEAD!!!!!!!!! SHE MAKE ME SAY OMG!!!!!!!!!

CCHUCKYKILLZ YA 450 replied...
Mar. 1, 2011 at 2:04 pm :
Going to heathers house today might get some head HEHE

Bearsfann238 said...
Mar. 1, 2011 at 9:36 am:
I agree Hawthorn it helps people conect to nature.

KiiD said...
Mar. 1, 2011 at 9:36 am:
michael vick got legs for days, ill tear him up

bigdog said...
Mar. 1, 2011 at 9:35 am:
supppp cammmmm babyyyy