Michael Vick: No Hero This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The Michael Vick saga is the story of a man who had everything and lost it all. And I cannot remember a tale more atrocious than his.

In 2001, the Atlanta Falcons selected Vick to be their franchise quarterback. He was seen as the savior of the team. The Falcons were so sure about Vick, they traded a shot at getting LaDainian Tomlinson, who many ­considered the best running back in the NFL. After the 2002 season, when Vick led the Falcons to the playoffs with a 9-6-1 record and beat Brett Favre in Lambeau Field, he received the biggest contract in NFL history: $130 million for 10 years. The following year, Vick missed most of the season with a broken ankle. In 2004, he led Atlanta to the NFC Championship but fell short.

Last year, Vick’s legal issues began to mount. In January, he was held at an airport on possession of marijuana, but tests revealed no illegal substances and he was never charged. In April, Vick was charged and convicted of dogfighting. His sentencing date – December 10th – was the same day the Falcons would play the Saints on Monday Night Football. He was sentenced to 23 months in prison.

In my opinion, this penalty is not harsh enough. By forcing innocent dogs to fight to the death, Vick has disgraced his family, the Falcons, and the city of Atlanta. Vick had a dogfighting ring on his property and mass graves for the burial of these dogs yet he initially pleaded not guilty. This is a testament to how immature Michael Vick really is.

Vick himself made me mad enough, but then I watched the Monday Night game. “Free Vick” signs were visible around the stadium. When Roddy White scored a touchdown, he displayed a “Free Mike Vick” T-shirt. I could only think, Do they know what this man did? He killed innocent animals for his own amusement. And, to me, the reaction by the Falcon fans was distasteful and atrocious. Vick deserved to be disciplined. Atlanta must realize the severity of his actions.

The Falcons and their fans need to move on. To me, Vick has played his last down in the National Football League. And rightfully so.

Michael Vick is no hero. He was an average quarterback who could run. But it’s time for the Falcons to move on and forget him.

Ace Venchura said...
May 4, 2011 at 10:34 am:
I used to like vick when he first joind the team, he went all the way. he was my favorite on the team and i thought he was  good person but i was rong he made dogs fight to the death! its unbelivable who would do that kinda thing. I never liked vick again but im mad that hes playing for the philidelfia philies and sadly hes doing well.

asdfghjkl replied...
Sept. 20, 2011 at 10:57 am :
hahahahahahaha

7498753 said...
May 4, 2011 at 10:24 am:
I agree with both people on these sides of the story. when i heard about ther Michael Vick dogfighting incedent, i thought people were joking. Sadly, Vick did commit the crime. he was such a huge star! growing up i was always hearing about Vicks almost mythical quarterback skills and the fame of the falcons always was blaring on ESPN. Vick sadly threw all of it away with the dogfighting ring. in my opinion he was already making enough money in the NFL! He honestly should have been punished more,... (more »)

dhhhhhhhhb said...
May 4, 2011 at 10:22 am:
I agree with both people on these sides of the story. when i heard about ther Michael Vick dogfighting incedent, i thought people were joking. Sadly, Vick did commit the crime. he was such a huge star! growing up i was always hearing about Vicks almost mythical quarterback skills and the fame of the falcons always was blaring on ESPN. Vick sadly threw all of it away with the dogfighting ring. in my opinion he was already making enough money in the NFL! He honestly should have been punished more,...

Ronaldoanonymous said...
May 4, 2011 at 9:49 am:

LovelyDuckling said...
i agree with you when you say that we should not worship athletes and that what Michael Vick did was wrong, but what happened to forgiveness? I know that some people commit worse wrongdoings than others, and that they should be punished accordingly, but Vick has served his time and seems genuinely sorry. Lay off the guy, we all make mistakes.

rockstardream said...
Wonderfully written. I know exactly what you mean- I'm a Georgian, home of the Falcons- so it was all over my local news. The only reason people wanted him free is that they were blinded my what they thought was their hero, their favorite football player. Glad to see you are not blinded by petty, atrocious things suck as this man.

ELM522This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 24, 2011 at 10:00 am:
I feel the same!  People obsess over sports players and worship them too much!  It was a horrible thing that he did to those dogs.

rileymillerphoenixarizona replied...
Oct. 18, 2011 at 1:35 pm :
no they dont dogs are inmature and

Snaildaddy said...
I respect your opinion but Mike Vick is no average QB. He is the best in the NFL. Yes he had some problems in the past, but the biggest thing in life is to forgive and forget. Vick has redeemed himself and if you define him by what wrongs he did in life, then you are just being ignorant and selfish.

RosieB. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jul. 21, 2011 at 12:34 am :
I was wondering... How exactly did Mike Vick redeem himself? By doing what he was paid to do when he was released from prison? I agree with the idea of 'forgive-and-forget' as you have mentioned, but I think people need to realize that although Mike Vick is an incredible athlete, he is still a convicted felon who spent almost two years in jail for an inhumane and utterly replusive crime. 

Radiah said...
Apr. 4, 2011 at 9:03 am:
i LOVE DOGS!! I LOVE DOGS! nice work!!! 

satch3ll replied...
Sept. 29, 2011 at 10:55 am :
I agree... they are very delicious....

Selly replied...
Sept. 29, 2011 at 10:58 am :
Do you put ketchup??

satch3ll replied...
Sept. 29, 2011 at 10:59 am :
...is there any other way....

caedanse said...
Michael Vick disgusts me, but he's payed his time and learned from his mistakes. I honestly believe his only regret in prison was getting caught, however. The only problem now is there are still hundreds of dog pits running today. Let's just hope Karma works her magic.

SriX23 said...
Mar. 30, 2011 at 2:42 pm:
well, why dont u just go ahead and write an essay on the cruelty of people eating animals like cows and chicken after ending their lives at a slaughter farm? isnt that worse than mike vick? he at least let one dog live. thats natural selection  by charles darwin at work

caedanse replied...
Apr. 2, 2011 at 7:49 pm :
Feeding the entire population and using puppies as bait just so you build your street cred are two entirely different things.

GangstaEyes This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Sept. 1, 2011 at 2:57 pm :
SriX23 that is a horrible invalid comment. Not a good argument at all... I agree with caedanse all the way - Vick was wrong and deserved to be punished. I can only hope that he learned from his mistakes.

hater replied...
Oct. 6, 2011 at 9:03 am :
ppl need to stfu about this sh** nobody cares any more

xBrownEyedBlondie replied...
Nov. 2, 2011 at 7:09 pm :
You have a valid point; slaughtering animals for any reason is wrong. Peoples justification is that food-animals are never seen as pets so its different. But myself, and my PET pig Olivia and PET cow Mia, disagree. You cant rightfully say hurting a dog is a crime but hurting a cow is not. They go hand-in-hand; both can feel the pain, the hate, the fear.