Michael Vick: No Hero | Teen Ink

Michael Vick: No Hero MAG

The Michael Vick saga is the story of a man who had everything and lost it all. And I cannot remember a tale more atrocious than his.

In 2001, the Atlanta Falcons selected Vick to be their franchise quarterback. He was seen as the savior of the team. The Falcons were so sure about Vick, they traded a shot at getting LaDainian Tomlinson, who many ­considered the best running back in the NFL. After the 2002 season, when Vick led the Falcons to the playoffs with a 9-6-1 record and beat Brett Favre in Lambeau Field, he received the biggest contract in NFL history: $130 million for 10 years. The following year, Vick missed most of the season with a broken ankle. In 2004, he led Atlanta to the NFC Championship but fell short.

Last year, Vick’s legal issues began to mount. In January, he was held at an airport on possession of marijuana, but tests revealed no illegal substances and he was never charged. In April, Vick was charged and convicted of dogfighting. His sentencing date – December 10th – was the same day the Falcons would play the Saints on Monday Night Football. He was sentenced to 23 months in prison.

In my opinion, this penalty is not harsh enough. By forcing innocent dogs to fight to the death, Vick has disgraced his family, the Falcons, and the city of Atlanta. Vick had a dogfighting ring on his property and mass graves for the burial of these dogs yet he initially pleaded not guilty. This is a testament to how immature Michael Vick really is.

Vick himself made me mad enough, but then I watched the Monday Night game. “Free Vick” signs were visible around the stadium. When Roddy White scored a touchdown, he displayed a “Free Mike Vick” T-shirt. I could only think, Do they know what this man did? He killed innocent animals for his own amusement. And, to me, the reaction by the Falcon fans was distasteful and atrocious. Vick deserved to be disciplined. Atlanta must realize the severity of his actions.

The Falcons and their fans need to move on. To me, Vick has played his last down in the National Football League. And rightfully so.

Michael Vick is no hero. He was an average quarterback who could run. But it’s time for the Falcons to move on and forget him.

Poop1 said...
Dude, your stupid... The Falcons have made the playoffs with one of the best young quarterbacks in the NFL. This kids name is matt ryan. Get your opinions updated

flamestar BRONZE, Fredericksburg, Virginia
this is horrible!! i can't belive someone would do this to animals, let alone dogs!!! "Animal planet" did a story on the whole vick case. every single one of the experts kept saying he didn't get a heavy enough sentance. what he did was unhuman and crul. not omly did he make dogs fight, but if they lost he would take it aroundback and kill them. i think he shouldn't be aloud to play football anymore....

Emmyluwho BRONZE, Mckinney, Texas

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx

Alright. I'm not about to say I know the first thing about the game of football, but I sure know about morals and values. That fact that this man is a good quarterback means nothing to me. I'm not here to insult anyone or step on anyone's belief, but I have heard about Vick on the news and the things he has done makes me just plain sad. Let's not get in fight about this, though. I think this was a very well written article.

honestly i think the gut that wrote this trash is a complete loser. Sure vick made some mistakes. He is not evil. I have meet him he as even been to my aunts house a couple of times.And i was at that game vick did not play for being arrested. Your saying that was distasteful of us for that. I agree with you it was distasteful THAT WE DIDNT SHOW ENOUGH LOVE to our franchise QB. If you have any feedback you would like to say to me you can contact me at 406-852-0870. I would love to talk to you to give you a good talk you diserve. Your disgusting honestly not trying to make this about race but do you really beileve this would be such a problem to the world if Vick was white. THis is coming from a 14 year old kid.Like i said call me 406-852-0870 -Amahri Harper

welcometoplanetearth SILVER, Devon, Pennsylvania

There are three rules for writing the novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
-W. Somerset Maugham

Being from around Philly, I was shocked out of my wits the day I heard he had been signed to the Eagles. He's just evil.

s gsgrg said...
on Jan. 5 2012 at 10:32 am
he is cool! i love dogssed2xr3f

on Jan. 5 2012 at 10:31 am
He is just a beast

pshian2972 said...
on Jan. 5 2012 at 10:27 am
people keep saying hes a bad man. you cant be a good or bad person he made mistakes and learned a lessson i am posting this to all dog lovers. watch more sportscenter.

pshian2072 said...
on Jan. 5 2012 at 10:21 am
people that write on this site dont no nothing about sports he is a changed man and is helping kids not get in the business of dog fighting he is a changed man he doesnt need kids criticizing him leav him be he is a HERO

Viridian BRONZE, Nah, Louisiana

"If there's nothing left to care about, there's nothing left to save."

Agreed, liv. Anyone who tortures animals for fun has major issues.

Santa said...
on Dec. 20 2011 at 10:03 am
vick bad man

thehammer said...
Vick did not just make one mistake. He is not a changed person. He has shown no remorse of any kind. I applaud the teens who have a sense of right and wrong, and know that what Vick did is MURDER.

bryar m said...
I have to agree with sam on this one because just because micheal vick screwed up doesnt mean he's a bad person. All you people hatting vick, i bet you made a mistake in your life and dont act you didnt because everybody makes mistakes. So think about it before you say anything about someone.

he should be put to death

america said...
America!!!!

kink678 said...
 come on give vick a break he did serve time in prison for his actions and your "average quarterback" ya right he is one of the best that has ever played the game forgive!

-Duckie- GOLD said...
-Duckie- GOLD, West Fargo, North Dakota

Your heart is a weapon the size of your fist. Keep fighting. Keep loving.
-Anonymous

Agree. Good writing. NO doubt on your part.

Chibbie1 PLATINUM, Atlanta, Georgia

Reach for the the moon for if you fail you land amongst the stars :)

that may have been his only mistake in his life. however it is still a mistake. Wether it affects you or not the violence and destruction that he has shown on animals is frightnig. Who can say that he will not do it to a human next? It may be out in the limb here and have zero connection to what he did. But he is a killer. I do not want to take my chances. I am sorry but that is just my way. I would much rather feel secure even if the person is forgiven. You may call me heartless but I do not want to make that mistake. Its great that the people have forgiven him. though do no expect  met to  agree the same. Atlethe or not his is still faced with the consequences of his actions. To me he got out easy, and the dogs were the ones who lost the greatest here. Do not come to me big whoop without a valid reason. What if that big whoop, had happened to you? Would you be saying the same thing? Please comment.

xBrownEyedBlondie, Riverside, California

"Numbing the pain for a while makes it worse when you finally feel it"
-J.K. Rowling (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)

You have a valid point; slaughtering animals for any reason is wrong. Peoples justification is that food-animals are never seen as pets so its different. But myself, and my PET pig Olivia and PET cow Mia, disagree. You cant rightfully say hurting a dog is a crime but hurting a cow is not. They go hand-in-hand; both can feel the pain, the hate, the fear.

Just because he served time behind bars does not mean Vick has learned his lesson. What he did was seriously horrid- forcing dogs, innocent and looving, to fight until death; cutting dead dogs to peices and feeding the body parts to other dogs so they get a taste for blood; making money off something so cruel. Animals have feelings- they know pain, fear, love, friendship- and to willingly subject them to such harsh conditions is wrong. But whats worse is peoples ability to forgive, overlook, or justify what he's done. Yeah, horrible things are done everyday, every second even, but that doesnt make what Vick did okay