Michael Vick: No Hero MAG

By Brandon Bossert, Newark, DE

The Michael Vick saga is the story of a man who had everything and lost it all. And I cannot remember a tale more atrocious than his.

In 2001, the Atlanta Falcons selected Vick to be their franchise quarterback. He was seen as the savior of the team. The Falcons were so sure about Vick, they traded a shot at getting LaDainian Tomlinson, who many ­considered the best running back in the NFL. After the 2002 season, when Vick led the Falcons to the playoffs with a 9-6-1 record and beat Brett Favre in Lambeau Field, he received the biggest contract in NFL history: $130 million for 10 years. The following year, Vick missed most of the season with a broken ankle. In 2004, he led Atlanta to the NFC Championship but fell short.

Last year, Vick’s legal issues began to mount. In January, he was held at an airport on possession of marijuana, but tests revealed no illegal substances and he was never charged. In April, Vick was charged and convicted of dogfighting. His sentencing date – December 10th – was the same day the Falcons would play the Saints on Monday Night Football. He was sentenced to 23 months in prison.

In my opinion, this penalty is not harsh enough. By forcing innocent dogs to fight to the death, Vick has disgraced his family, the Falcons, and the city of Atlanta. Vick had a dogfighting ring on his property and mass graves for the burial of these dogs yet he initially pleaded not guilty. This is a testament to how immature Michael Vick really is.

Vick himself made me mad enough, but then I watched the Monday Night game. “Free Vick” signs were visible around the stadium. When Roddy White scored a touchdown, he displayed a “Free Mike Vick” T-shirt. I could only think, Do they know what this man did? He killed innocent animals for his own amusement. And, to me, the reaction by the Falcon fans was distasteful and atrocious. Vick deserved to be disciplined. Atlanta must realize the severity of his actions.

The Falcons and their fans need to move on. To me, Vick has played his last down in the National Football League. And rightfully so.

Michael Vick is no hero. He was an average quarterback who could run. But it’s time for the Falcons to move on and forget him.

on Jan. 5 2012 at 10:31 am
He is just a beast

pshian2972 said...
on Jan. 5 2012 at 10:27 am
people keep saying hes a bad man. you cant be a good or bad person he made mistakes and learned a lessson i am posting this to all dog lovers. watch more sportscenter.

pshian2072 said...
on Jan. 5 2012 at 10:21 am
people that write on this site dont no nothing about sports he is a changed man and is helping kids not get in the business of dog fighting he is a changed man he doesnt need kids criticizing him leav him be he is a HERO

on Dec. 22 2011 at 9:01 pm
Viridian BRONZE, Nah, Louisiana

"If there's nothing left to care about, there's nothing left to save."

Agreed, liv. Anyone who tortures animals for fun has major issues.

Santa said...
on Dec. 20 2011 at 10:03 am
vick bad man

thehammer said...
on Dec. 11 2011 at 9:32 pm
Vick did not just make one mistake. He is not a changed person. He has shown no remorse of any kind. I applaud the teens who have a sense of right and wrong, and know that what Vick did is MURDER.

bryar m said...
on Dec. 9 2011 at 2:16 pm
I have to agree with sam on this one because just because micheal vick screwed up doesnt mean he's a bad person. All you people hatting vick, i bet you made a mistake in your life and dont act you didnt because everybody makes mistakes. So think about it before you say anything about someone.

on Dec. 7 2011 at 3:12 pm
he should be put to death

america said...
on Dec. 7 2011 at 2:59 pm
America!!!!

kink678 said...
on Dec. 7 2011 at 2:55 pm
 come on give vick a break he did serve time in prison for his actions and your "average quarterback" ya right he is one of the best that has ever played the game forgive!

-Duckie- GOLD said...
on Nov. 30 2011 at 6:26 pm
-Duckie- GOLD, West Fargo, North Dakota

Your heart is a weapon the size of your fist. Keep fighting. Keep loving.
-Anonymous

Agree. Good writing. NO doubt on your part.

on Nov. 8 2011 at 2:51 pm
Chibbie1 PLATINUM, Atlanta, Georgia

Reach for the the moon for if you fail you land amongst the stars :)

that may have been his only mistake in his life. however it is still a mistake. Wether it affects you or not the violence and destruction that he has shown on animals is frightnig. Who can say that he will not do it to a human next? It may be out in the limb here and have zero connection to what he did. But he is a killer. I do not want to take my chances. I am sorry but that is just my way. I would much rather feel secure even if the person is forgiven. You may call me heartless but I do not want to make that mistake. Its great that the people have forgiven him. though do no expect  met to  agree the same. Atlethe or not his is still faced with the consequences of his actions. To me he got out easy, and the dogs were the ones who lost the greatest here. Do not come to me big whoop without a valid reason. What if that big whoop, had happened to you? Would you be saying the same thing? Please comment.

on Nov. 2 2011 at 7:09 pm
xBrownEyedBlondie, Riverside, California

"Numbing the pain for a while makes it worse when you finally feel it"
-J.K. Rowling (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)

You have a valid point; slaughtering animals for any reason is wrong. Peoples justification is that food-animals are never seen as pets so its different. But myself, and my PET pig Olivia and PET cow Mia, disagree. You cant rightfully say hurting a dog is a crime but hurting a cow is not. They go hand-in-hand; both can feel the pain, the hate, the fear.

on Nov. 2 2011 at 6:59 pm

Just because he served time behind bars does not mean Vick has learned his lesson. What he did was seriously horrid- forcing dogs, innocent and looving, to fight until death; cutting dead dogs to peices and feeding the body parts to other dogs so they get a taste for blood; making money off something so cruel. Animals have feelings- they know pain, fear, love, friendship- and to willingly subject them to such harsh conditions is wrong. But whats worse is peoples ability to forgive, overlook, or justify what he's done. Yeah, horrible things are done everyday, every second even, but that doesnt make what Vick did okay

sam roach said...
on Nov. 1 2011 at 12:29 pm
sam roach, Easley, South Carolina
michael vick killed some dogs but people kill babys in this country everyday and u failed to mention that vick is now forgivien for what he did and is a changed person and your riding him like hes the worst person ever hes a amazing athelete and made a mistake im sorry u cant see past one mans flaw

biggiebig said...
on Nov. 1 2011 at 9:17 am

mikevick mad one mistake in his lifer big whoop

on Oct. 28 2011 at 11:28 am
I think this is very true. Vick should be put in jail and rot. He shouldent kill dogs that didnt do anything.. Why do we have people like this in U.S.A

on Oct. 28 2011 at 11:27 am
I think this person is talking the truth. Vick should be tooken to jail for awhile. What if someone lost them dogs or wanted them. He most not of cared about his fans or anything. Killing dogs that did nothing to him.... I think he shouldent be able to play anymore.

on Oct. 18 2011 at 1:35 pm
rileymillerphoenixarizona BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona

winning is importatnt

no they dont dogs are inmature and

bromance said...
on Oct. 14 2011 at 11:41 am
MICHEAL VICK IS DOG KILLER!!!!!

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!