Michael Vick: No Hero This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The Michael Vick saga is the story of a man who had everything and lost it all. And I cannot remember a tale more atrocious than his.

In 2001, the Atlanta Falcons selected Vick to be their franchise quarterback. He was seen as the savior of the team. The Falcons were so sure about Vick, they traded a shot at getting LaDainian Tomlinson, who many ­considered the best running back in the NFL. After the 2002 season, when Vick led the Falcons to the playoffs with a 9-6-1 record and beat Brett Favre in Lambeau Field, he received the biggest contract in NFL history: $130 million for 10 years. The following year, Vick missed most of the season with a broken ankle. In 2004, he led Atlanta to the NFC Championship but fell short.

Last year, Vick’s legal issues began to mount. In January, he was held at an airport on possession of marijuana, but tests revealed no illegal substances and he was never charged. In April, Vick was charged and convicted of dogfighting. His sentencing date – December 10th – was the same day the Falcons would play the Saints on Monday Night Football. He was sentenced to 23 months in prison.

In my opinion, this penalty is not harsh enough. By forcing innocent dogs to fight to the death, Vick has disgraced his family, the Falcons, and the city of Atlanta. Vick had a dogfighting ring on his property and mass graves for the burial of these dogs yet he initially pleaded not guilty. This is a testament to how immature Michael Vick really is.

Vick himself made me mad enough, but then I watched the Monday Night game. “Free Vick” signs were visible around the stadium. When Roddy White scored a touchdown, he displayed a “Free Mike Vick” T-shirt. I could only think, Do they know what this man did? He killed innocent animals for his own amusement. And, to me, the reaction by the Falcon fans was distasteful and atrocious. Vick deserved to be disciplined. Atlanta must realize the severity of his actions.

The Falcons and their fans need to move on. To me, Vick has played his last down in the National Football League. And rightfully so.

Michael Vick is no hero. He was an average quarterback who could run. But it’s time for the Falcons to move on and forget him.

biggiebig said...
Nov. 1, 2011 at 9:17 am:

mikevick mad one mistake in his lifer big whoop

Chibbie1 replied...
Nov. 8, 2011 at 2:51 pm :
that may have been his only mistake in his life. however it is still a mistake. Wether it affects you or not the violence and destruction that he has shown on animals is frightnig. Who can say that he will not do it to a human next? It may be out in the limb here and have zero connection to what he did. But he is a killer. I do not want to take my chances. I am sorry but that is just my way. I would much rather feel secure even if the person is forgiven. You may call me heartless b... (more »)

MarcTheBeastMan said...
Oct. 28, 2011 at 11:28 am:
I think this is very true. Vick should be put in jail and rot. He shouldent kill dogs that didnt do anything.. Why do we have people like this in U.S.A

MarcTheBeastMan said...
Oct. 28, 2011 at 11:27 am:
I think this person is talking the truth. Vick should be tooken to jail for awhile. What if someone lost them dogs or wanted them. He most not of cared about his fans or anything. Killing dogs that did nothing to him.... I think he shouldent be able to play anymore.

bromance said...
Oct. 14, 2011 at 11:41 am:
MICHEAL VICK IS DOG KILLER!!!!!

shawdieeeratcheet said...
ughhh lykee isaiid

shawdieeratcheet said...
micheal viick isx a beast so yall mf'ss stoop hatin ughh

tvibeocho1 said...

also mike vick did some bad things but he is a lot more than your average quarter back that can run. if you actually took the time to look at his stats he is much better than you "average quarterback" im not trying to justify what he did but you should give him some credit. this really just seems to me that you take this as a way to rip him a part. we all have to remember that he is only human just becasue he is in the NFL does NOT mean he cant make mistakes. calling a man with that much tale... (more »)

tvibeocho1 said...
this is spose to be a non-fiction piece not a way to take your anger out with opinions although you do prove a good point you did not really back up your side of the story you talked a lot about how wrong vick is but have nothing to back up why. all in all it was alright

Annieboo said...
You stated your opinion clearly and strongly.

athletegkb44 said...
Sept. 3, 2011 at 10:32 am:
Hey there! Good writing! I very much agree with you that he should have stayed longer in prison. But, in my personal opinion, he did learn his lesson while in jail. I think one time Tony Dungy went down to him while he was getting ready to get out of prison, and they talked and Tony said Vick had really rethought a lot of things. But you are right, and I agree with you about the penalty. Good writing, and remember that's just my personal opinion. Good piece!

Jean16Bean said...
Jul. 5, 2011 at 2:52 pm:
So true! He should not be released just becuase he is a good football player. You are a very good writer.

BRINGING UP THE PASt replied...
Sept. 2, 2011 at 8:40 am :
evertone makes mistakes yall should shut up and forget about out all things going on in the world yall be complaining about animals. look at the news what our soliders are going through innocent kids getting beat for nothing all the murders and things the hurricane but yall just want bring up **** that was from the past GET A LIFE PEOPLE LOOK AT THE NEWS

Liv297 replied...
Sept. 20, 2011 at 4:21 pm :
Making mistakes is one thing. Fighting dogs to there death and smoking marijuana is more like a blatently defiant step in the opposite direction.

Viridian replied...
Dec. 22, 2011 at 9:01 pm :
Agreed, liv. Anyone who tortures animals for fun has major issues.

. replied...
Jan. 31, 2012 at 7:02 pm :
I agree with you Liv. A mistake is shoplifting. Dogfighting is more like criminally insane.

crazy-ashbobash This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 29, 2011 at 3:44 pm:
i really appreciate the down-to-earth style of your writing and congrats on getting into the magazine! i agree with you: michael vick is a jerk but i think he should get a second chance. everyone does things wrong and hes no different. although his behavior is inappropriate, michael vick deserves a second chance (much to my distaste)

fire2 said...
May 6, 2011 at 9:29 am:
This is a vary good story and nice ending

Ace Venchura said...
May 4, 2011 at 10:34 am:
I used to like vick when he first joind the team, he went all the way. he was my favorite on the team and i thought he was  good person but i was rong he made dogs fight to the death! its unbelivable who would do that kinda thing. I never liked vick again but im mad that hes playing for the philidelfia philies and sadly hes doing well.

dewragguu replied...
May 16, 2011 at 6:09 pm :
i hope you know that vick is playing on the phillidelphia eagles now... so unless his untapped baseball potential suddenly shined through, hes still a football player.  genius.