Michael Vick: No Hero MAG

By Brandon Bossert, Newark, DE

The Michael Vick saga is the story of a man who had everything and lost it all. And I cannot remember a tale more atrocious than his.

In 2001, the Atlanta Falcons selected Vick to be their franchise quarterback. He was seen as the savior of the team. The Falcons were so sure about Vick, they traded a shot at getting LaDainian Tomlinson, who many ­considered the best running back in the NFL. After the 2002 season, when Vick led the Falcons to the playoffs with a 9-6-1 record and beat Brett Favre in Lambeau Field, he received the biggest contract in NFL history: $130 million for 10 years. The following year, Vick missed most of the season with a broken ankle. In 2004, he led Atlanta to the NFC Championship but fell short.

Last year, Vick’s legal issues began to mount. In January, he was held at an airport on possession of marijuana, but tests revealed no illegal substances and he was never charged. In April, Vick was charged and convicted of dogfighting. His sentencing date – December 10th – was the same day the Falcons would play the Saints on Monday Night Football. He was sentenced to 23 months in prison.

In my opinion, this penalty is not harsh enough. By forcing innocent dogs to fight to the death, Vick has disgraced his family, the Falcons, and the city of Atlanta. Vick had a dogfighting ring on his property and mass graves for the burial of these dogs yet he initially pleaded not guilty. This is a testament to how immature Michael Vick really is.

Vick himself made me mad enough, but then I watched the Monday Night game. “Free Vick” signs were visible around the stadium. When Roddy White scored a touchdown, he displayed a “Free Mike Vick” T-shirt. I could only think, Do they know what this man did? He killed innocent animals for his own amusement. And, to me, the reaction by the Falcon fans was distasteful and atrocious. Vick deserved to be disciplined. Atlanta must realize the severity of his actions.

The Falcons and their fans need to move on. To me, Vick has played his last down in the National Football League. And rightfully so.

Michael Vick is no hero. He was an average quarterback who could run. But it’s time for the Falcons to move on and forget him.

on Feb. 26 2012 at 4:06 pm
StupidAndFearless BRONZE, Owls Head, Maine

"So paint me jealous, paint me rage, for god's sake paint me anything."

"You're not being fair!"
"Fares are for tourists, kid."

"Do something remarkable."

Why? Because he can throw and catch and run?

Michael Vick personally killed eight dogs. Using hanging, electrocution, and shooting. These dogs were dogs that refused to fight no matter how much they were abused. That was the personal part. That's not counting the number of dogs that were MURDERED by other dogs, because he starved them, prodded them, beat them, and kept them in extremely unsanitary and horrible conditions. Female dogs were strapped into stands so they could be raped repeatedly and bred.

And he laughed. And made money off of it. And CONTINUED to do it for months and months. The dogs were taken after his capture to be rehabilitated, and they sat in corners, shaking, submissive. Why? Because they were tortured by humans. By him.

I'm not saying he's a completely horrible person. I'm not saying he's great. Maybe he's done some great things in his life, but this isn't one of them. Just because he was a good QB doesn't mean he's a great person.

on Feb. 26 2012 at 1:37 pm
maizyiscrazy GOLD, Washington, District Of Columbia

I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe in miracles. ~Audrey Hepburn

I totally agree with supernova7. It makes me so mad about what Vick did. He should have gotten a life sentence, as well as all the other terrible, heartless people who fight dogs for their pleasure.

on Feb. 26 2012 at 1:26 pm

"You're not being fair!"
"Fares are for tourists, kid."

"Do something remarkable."

Okay, the author of this article is disgusting? Seriously?

So don't sit there and tell us if he was white it would be okay, because it's not. At all. It's wrong. It'd be wrong if he was white, black, asain, indian, scandenavian, eastern european, it'd be wrong if he was an alien from Mars.

After all the horrible things he did, Really, who is the disgusting one?

on Feb. 17 2012 at 2:57 pm
Supernova7 GOLD, Redford, Texas

Let me cry my tears let me live in sorrow as long as you promise to be with me tomorrow
By Me:)

This was a very good article congratulations on getting it published in the magazine you deserved it:) I totally agree with you.

on Feb. 17 2012 at 2:54 pm
Supernova7 GOLD, Redford, Texas

By Me:)

Yes he did! He starved them and beat them to make them angry and then he would turn them against each other. I can not believe you would defend him and try to put the blame on his friends. He was the man in charge therefore he deserves the blame. You need to see him as a person not a star quarterback. He knew what he was doing let him live with the consequences.

on Feb. 7 2012 at 8:43 am
Beargrills SILVER, Centerville, Iowa

"I murdered a rock, I injured a stone, I could hospitalize a brick, I'm so mean I could make medicine sick." - Muhammad Ali

Okay, Vick is the man. He didn't "force innocent dogs to fight to the death." However, what he did was still illegal. He hosted the dog fights for his friends, his friends were the real criminals. Regardless, it's perception and Michael Vick was perceived to be the bad guy in this situation. He is far from average and I'm not even an Eagles fan. Michael Vick is the deadliest weapon in the NFL.

on Feb. 6 2012 at 2:35 pm
Cardsfan BRONZE, Waukesha, Wisconsin
I think this is very well written but I think you are to harsh on Vick. He should be given a second chance like everyone else. After being in jail for 23 months he came back with the Eagles and led them to a postseason birth last year.

on Feb. 6 2012 at 2:26 pm
ImCoolerThanYou, Waukesha, Wisconsin
It's good writing but your too biased against vick. Just because he did something horribly wrong doesn't mean that he sucks or deserves a horrible punishment. He was, and still is, an amazing quarterback that came out of jail, having not played for four years, and led his team to an great season.

on Feb. 6 2012 at 10:44 am
iamjoshandiamawesome BRONZE, Waukesha, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
Nice writing but you put too much bias in this article. Next time don't put your opinion on this but make a statement due to the facts. But overall, very nice.

on Feb. 4 2012 at 12:22 pm
rockyyyyyyyyy SILVER, Lawrenceville, Georgia

dont let people drive u crazy if you know its in walking distance

the news definatley bosts stories up and adds fictional things to it

on Feb. 4 2012 at 12:20 pm

omg give vick a freaking break

on Feb. 2 2012 at 1:09 pm
this guy knows what he is saying

. said...
on Jan. 31 2012 at 7:02 pm
I agree with you Liv. A mistake is shoplifting. Dogfighting is more like criminally insane.

. said...
on Jan. 31 2012 at 6:44 pm
Obviously you don't 'no' nothing if you don't 'no' that 'no' should be know!

on Jan. 30 2012 at 10:29 pm
Amyelisee BRONZE, Lake Bluff, Illinois
Agreed, agreed, agreed !

Poop1 said...
on Jan. 30 2012 at 12:18 pm
Dude, your stupid... The Falcons have made the playoffs with one of the best young quarterbacks in the NFL. This kids name is matt ryan. Get your opinions updated

on Jan. 13 2012 at 8:23 pm
flamestar BRONZE, Fredericksburg, Virginia
this is horrible!! i can't belive someone would do this to animals, let alone dogs!!! "Animal planet" did a story on the whole vick case. every single one of the experts kept saying he didn't get a heavy enough sentance. what he did was unhuman and crul. not omly did he make dogs fight, but if they lost he would take it aroundback and kill them. i think he shouldn't be aloud to play football anymore....

on Jan. 13 2012 at 7:30 pm
Emmyluwho BRONZE, Mckinney, Texas

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx

Alright. I'm not about to say I know the first thing about the game of football, but I sure know about morals and values. That fact that this man is a good quarterback means nothing to me. I'm not here to insult anyone or step on anyone's belief, but I have heard about Vick on the news and the things he has done makes me just plain sad. Let's not get in fight about this, though. I think this was a very well written article.

on Jan. 12 2012 at 3:26 pm
honestly i think the gut that wrote this trash is a complete loser. Sure vick made some mistakes. He is not evil. I have meet him he as even been to my aunts house a couple of times.And i was at that game vick did not play for being arrested. Your saying that was distasteful of us for that. I agree with you it was distasteful THAT WE DIDNT SHOW ENOUGH LOVE to our franchise QB. If you have any feedback you would like to say to me you can contact me at 406-852-0870. I would love to talk to you to give you a good talk you diserve. Your disgusting honestly not trying to make this about race but do you really beileve this would be such a problem to the world if Vick was white. THis is coming from a 14 year old kid.Like i said call me 406-852-0870 -Amahri Harper

on Jan. 9 2012 at 4:55 pm
welcometoplanetearth SILVER, Devon, Pennsylvania

There are three rules for writing the novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
-W. Somerset Maugham

Being from around Philly, I was shocked out of my wits the day I heard he had been signed to the Eagles. He's just evil.

Swoon Reads

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!