Michael Vick: No Hero MAG

By Brandon Bossert, Newark, DE

The Michael Vick saga is the story of a man who had everything and lost it all. And I cannot remember a tale more atrocious than his.

In 2001, the Atlanta Falcons selected Vick to be their franchise quarterback. He was seen as the savior of the team. The Falcons were so sure about Vick, they traded a shot at getting LaDainian Tomlinson, who many ­considered the best running back in the NFL. After the 2002 season, when Vick led the Falcons to the playoffs with a 9-6-1 record and beat Brett Favre in Lambeau Field, he received the biggest contract in NFL history: $130 million for 10 years. The following year, Vick missed most of the season with a broken ankle. In 2004, he led Atlanta to the NFC Championship but fell short.

Last year, Vick’s legal issues began to mount. In January, he was held at an airport on possession of marijuana, but tests revealed no illegal substances and he was never charged. In April, Vick was charged and convicted of dogfighting. His sentencing date – December 10th – was the same day the Falcons would play the Saints on Monday Night Football. He was sentenced to 23 months in prison.

In my opinion, this penalty is not harsh enough. By forcing innocent dogs to fight to the death, Vick has disgraced his family, the Falcons, and the city of Atlanta. Vick had a dogfighting ring on his property and mass graves for the burial of these dogs yet he initially pleaded not guilty. This is a testament to how immature Michael Vick really is.

Vick himself made me mad enough, but then I watched the Monday Night game. “Free Vick” signs were visible around the stadium. When Roddy White scored a touchdown, he displayed a “Free Mike Vick” T-shirt. I could only think, Do they know what this man did? He killed innocent animals for his own amusement. And, to me, the reaction by the Falcon fans was distasteful and atrocious. Vick deserved to be disciplined. Atlanta must realize the severity of his actions.

The Falcons and their fans need to move on. To me, Vick has played his last down in the National Football League. And rightfully so.

Michael Vick is no hero. He was an average quarterback who could run. But it’s time for the Falcons to move on and forget him.

on Jan. 30 2013 at 8:14 pm
Saul_Rocha BRONZE, Central Point, Oregon
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
I can understand you and I was upset too, but you have to look at both sides of the story. He grew up in a poor neighborhood and once he did his months in prison, he donated half a million dollars to different dog charities. 

ting912 said...
on Jan. 21 2013 at 1:47 pm
So when a person dies from someone texting while driving they serve 14 days in jail. Thats a person, a real human, that can talk, think, and is 100% more productive than a dog. But then a couple of dogs are killed because of dog fights he gets 23 months in jail. They're dogs people, they live 100% on instinct, they do not serve a higher purpose in society. Dogs are pets, they do not help humanity in any way other than police dogs. Lets put this into prospective. The president and the government send thousands of troops to war, they are killed, and there are mass graves for them. Maybe presidents should go to jail

halldj161 GOLD said...
on Jan. 7 2013 at 7:34 pm
halldj161 GOLD, Louisville, Kentucky

Ambition is priceless it's something in ya veins and i pray that never change.

i totally agree

halldj161 GOLD said...
on Jan. 7 2013 at 7:33 pm
halldj161 GOLD, Louisville, Kentucky

Well i would like to say all your info is not accurate.But im going to keep this cooment short by simply saying everyone deserves second chances.People have done things way worse than Micheal Vick and did not receive punsihment like Mike Mick.We are not the people to judge one another.God is the only judge.

Kid14 said...
on Dec. 5 2012 at 5:28 pm
Kid14, Fort Belvoir, Virginia

"It's wrestling were the weak become strong and the strong become champions."

ummmmmm.... i dont know if you noticed but if you did your reserch you would find that had grew up in a poor hostile envorerment like me i can relate to vick what he saw. how much any want to bet that you didnt hear that ur cosin died in a dive by shooting thats my own personal experace how much you want to bet that 15% of you never played orginized sports. all im sayin is back off this mans case theres noumorous NFL players that done illeagal stuff for instace Laweranc Taylor none of you said anything about him i rest my case

on Nov. 28 2012 at 9:06 pm
Deej6595 BRONZE, Billerica, Massachusetts

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference.

The transition could be smoother and you could be more argumentative but thank you for sharing your opinion. I never even knew who Michael Vick was.

dabears said...
on Sep. 18 2012 at 1:09 pm
michael vick is boss

on Sep. 4 2012 at 10:24 am
MarieAntoinette2014 DIAMOND, Scottsburg, Indiana

Isn't it ironic? We ignore the ones who adore us, adore the ones who ignore us, love the ones who hurt us, and hurt the ones that love us.

Ps: You guys, This has nothing to do with race. Fact is, he knew what he was doing was wrong and illegal, and to you who say he's a great player, maybe so. But the truth is he commited a crime, he has to pay for it. Also to you who say his friends did it: None the less, he knew what they were doing was wrong and did nothing to stop it. He should never had that ring on his property, and he should not have hosted those fights.  An average player would not be allowed to play again, and neither should he!

on Sep. 4 2012 at 10:16 am

Agree, absolutely. I'm a huge animal rights advocate, so he boils my blood.

on Jul. 28 2012 at 8:29 pm
Str8FromTheGalaxy BRONZE, Vancouver, Other
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Pain is weakness leaving the body

I personally love dogs, espicially pitty's, and i think what he did is terrible. However, he thoroughy apollogized for his actions aswell as doing time in prison for it. And when the time came for him to actually go to jail, he went without fussing or complaining about it and did his time quietly. He then came back the next season for the Eagles and had an amazing year. I think this jsut goes to show you that no matter how far you fall, you can always get back up

on May. 24 2012 at 3:53 pm
Writer_Jordan GOLD, Ellicott City, Maryland

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.

I see no hero in him...you have to have some cold in your heart in order to do such a thing. Good article--many people seem ignorant to the facts of Michael Vick's past

on May. 17 2012 at 1:40 pm
CelticsAllDayWilson25 BRONZE, Whitney, Texas

I call it how I see it with my glasses on "Lil Wayne"

yea but it was a long time ago

on May. 17 2012 at 1:39 pm

They were his dogs i now it was bad but he had to pay for what he did.And plus that was so long ago its dumb to still be talking about

on May. 16 2012 at 12:16 am
i_am_so_very_large_and_towering SILVER, Mililani, Hawaii

"Yet what is any ocean but a multitude of drops?"

thank you for this article!!!!!!!!!!!! its terrible what he did

on Apr. 10 2012 at 3:03 pm
AlwaysAntlers SILVER, Kingsport, Tennessee

“Don't forget - no one else sees the world the way you do, so no one else can tell the stories that you have to tell.”
― Charles de Lint, (from his book,The Blue Girl)

I read about Micheal Vick and the poor dogs that were cruelly murdered for entertainment. I do not understand why fans still support him. His sentence was far under the average sentence of five years, as well.

theboss25 said...
on Mar. 27 2012 at 12:30 pm
theboss25, Mainville, Ohio

"Speak softly and carry a big stick." Theodore Roosevelt

I can't believe you guys are still fussing about this. It was years ago who cares anymore.

KatsK DIAMOND said...
on Mar. 23 2012 at 7:14 pm
KatsK DIAMOND, Saint Paul, Minnesota

Being inexhaustible, life and nature are a constant stimulus for a creative mind.
~Hans Hofmann
You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
~Ray Bradbury

I agree with Supernova. Athletes shouldn't hurt animals or people just because they can, and because they can run/catch a ball/hit a ball. I read White Fang a few months ago, which shows some consequences of animal abuse, and from a dog/wolf's perspective.

Charle5 GOLD said...
on Mar. 19 2012 at 3:26 pm
Charle5 GOLD, West Windsor, New Jersey

"Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work." -Aritsotle

While reading these comments, I couldn't believe two things: the terrible grammar, and that people actually think that Vick is an OK guy.

Landon R. said...
on Mar. 13 2012 at 10:01 am

Honestly, everything ur saying is true, but if u go by what the bible says. " its always good to forgive" then u would have been moved on from this, i mean personally i love michael vick as a player. i also love dogs ( fav. animal ) but he shouldnt be judge on his past actions.

on Feb. 26 2012 at 4:06 pm
StupidAndFearless BRONZE, Owls Head, Maine

"So paint me jealous, paint me rage, for god's sake paint me anything."

"You're not being fair!"
"Fares are for tourists, kid."

"Do something remarkable."

Why? Because he can throw and catch and run?

Michael Vick personally killed eight dogs. Using hanging, electrocution, and shooting. These dogs were dogs that refused to fight no matter how much they were abused. That was the personal part. That's not counting the number of dogs that were MURDERED by other dogs, because he starved them, prodded them, beat them, and kept them in extremely unsanitary and horrible conditions. Female dogs were strapped into stands so they could be raped repeatedly and bred.

And he laughed. And made money off of it. And CONTINUED to do it for months and months. The dogs were taken after his capture to be rehabilitated, and they sat in corners, shaking, submissive. Why? Because they were tortured by humans. By him.

I'm not saying he's a completely horrible person. I'm not saying he's great. Maybe he's done some great things in his life, but this isn't one of them. Just because he was a good QB doesn't mean he's a great person.

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!