Michael Vick: No Hero This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The Michael Vick saga is the story of a man who had everything and lost it all. And I cannot remember a tale more atrocious than his.

In 2001, the Atlanta Falcons selected Vick to be their franchise quarterback. He was seen as the savior of the team. The Falcons were so sure about Vick, they traded a shot at getting LaDainian Tomlinson, who many ­considered the best running back in the NFL. After the 2002 season, when Vick led the Falcons to the playoffs with a 9-6-1 record and beat Brett Favre in Lambeau Field, he received the biggest contract in NFL history: $130 million for 10 years. The following year, Vick missed most of the season with a broken ankle. In 2004, he led Atlanta to the NFC Championship but fell short.

Last year, Vick’s legal issues began to mount. In January, he was held at an airport on possession of marijuana, but tests revealed no illegal substances and he was never charged. In April, Vick was charged and convicted of dogfighting. His sentencing date – December 10th – was the same day the Falcons would play the Saints on Monday Night Football. He was sentenced to 23 months in prison.

In my opinion, this penalty is not harsh enough. By forcing innocent dogs to fight to the death, Vick has disgraced his family, the Falcons, and the city of Atlanta. Vick had a dogfighting ring on his property and mass graves for the burial of these dogs yet he initially pleaded not guilty. This is a testament to how immature Michael Vick really is.

Vick himself made me mad enough, but then I watched the Monday Night game. “Free Vick” signs were visible around the stadium. When Roddy White scored a touchdown, he displayed a “Free Mike Vick” T-shirt. I could only think, Do they know what this man did? He killed innocent animals for his own amusement. And, to me, the reaction by the Falcon fans was distasteful and atrocious. Vick deserved to be disciplined. Atlanta must realize the severity of his actions.

The Falcons and their fans need to move on. To me, Vick has played his last down in the National Football League. And rightfully so.

Michael Vick is no hero. He was an average quarterback who could run. But it’s time for the Falcons to move on and forget him.

macNcheeze said...
Jul. 28, 2012 at 8:29 pm:
I personally love dogs, espicially pitty's, and i think what he did is terrible. However, he thoroughy apollogized for his actions aswell as doing time in prison for it. And when the time came for him to actually go to jail, he went without fussing or complaining about it and did his time quietly. He then came back the next season for the Eagles and had an amazing year. I think this jsut goes to show you that no matter how far you fall, you can always get back up

Writer_Jordan said...
May 24, 2012 at 3:53 pm:
I see no hero in him...you have to have some cold in your heart in order to do such a thing. Good article--many people seem ignorant to the facts of Michael Vick's past

BigBallaJohnathanW said...
May 17, 2012 at 1:39 pm:
They were his dogs i now it was bad but he had to pay for what he did.And plus that was so long ago its dumb to still be talking about

wishingtheskywasbluerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 16, 2012 at 12:16 am:
thank you for this article!!!!!!!!!!!! its terrible what he did

BigBallaJohnathanW replied...
May 17, 2012 at 1:40 pm :

yea but it was a long time ago

Klara_Cielo said...
I read about Micheal Vick and the poor dogs that were cruelly murdered for entertainment. I do not understand why fans still support him. His sentence was far under the average sentence of five years, as well.

theboss25 said...
Mar. 27, 2012 at 12:30 pm:
I can't believe you guys are still fussing about this. It was years ago who cares anymore.

Charle5 said...
Mar. 19, 2012 at 3:26 pm:
While reading these comments, I couldn't believe two things: the terrible grammar, and that people actually think that Vick is an OK guy.

Landon R. said...
Mar. 13, 2012 at 10:01 am:

Honestly, everything ur saying is true, but if u go by what the bible says. " its always good to forgive" then u would have been moved on from this, i mean personally i love michael vick as a player. i also love dogs ( fav. animal ) but he shouldnt be judge on his past actions.

halldj161 replied...
Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:34 pm :
i totally agree

Supernova7 said...
Feb. 17, 2012 at 2:57 pm:
This was a very good article congratulations on getting it published in the magazine you deserved it:) I totally agree with you.

Beargrills said...
Feb. 7, 2012 at 8:43 am:
Okay, Vick is the man. He didn't "force innocent dogs to fight to the death." However, what he did was still illegal. He hosted the dog fights for his friends, his friends were the real criminals. Regardless, it's perception and Michael Vick was perceived to be the bad guy in this situation. He is far from average and I'm not even an Eagles fan. Michael Vick is the deadliest weapon in the NFL.

Supernova7 replied...
Feb. 17, 2012 at 2:54 pm :
Yes he did! He starved them and beat them to make them angry and then he would turn them against each other. I can not believe you would defend him and try to put the blame on his friends. He was the man in charge therefore he deserves the blame. You need to see him as a person not a star quarterback. He knew what he was doing let him live with the consequences.

maizyiscrazy replied...
Feb. 26, 2012 at 1:37 pm :
I totally agree with supernova7. It makes me so mad about what Vick did. He should have gotten a life sentence, as well as all the other terrible, heartless people who fight dogs for their pleasure.

KatsK This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Mar. 23, 2012 at 7:14 pm :
I agree with Supernova. Athletes shouldn't hurt animals or people just because they can, and because they can run/catch a ball/hit a ball. I read White Fang a few months ago, which shows some consequences of animal abuse, and from a dog/wolf's perspective.

Cardsfan said...
Feb. 6, 2012 at 2:35 pm:
I think this is very well written but I think you are to harsh on Vick. He should be given a second chance like everyone else. After being in jail for 23 months he came back with the Eagles and led them to a postseason birth last year.

ImCoolerThanYou said...
Feb. 6, 2012 at 2:26 pm:
It's good writing but your too biased against vick. Just because he did something horribly wrong doesn't mean that he sucks or deserves a horrible punishment. He was, and still is, an amazing quarterback that came out of jail, having not played for four years, and led his team to an great season.

iamjoshandiamawesome said...
Feb. 6, 2012 at 10:44 am:
Nice writing but you put too much bias in this article. Next time don't put your opinion on this but make a statement due to the facts. But overall, very nice.

stanza1 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 4, 2012 at 12:20 pm:
omg give vick a freaking break

noneurbuissness12321 said...
Feb. 2, 2012 at 1:09 pm:
this guy knows what he is saying